(Updated) Ambitious AG day: Belgian Tripel (lots o' pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
Also known as Paul Gets It Wrong!

Ok, so for a few weeks I've been planning to do a traditional style Belgian Tripel with the ingredients below:

20l batch
6.3kg Pale malt

50g Hallertau Mittelfruh (60m)
15g Saaz (60m)
50g Hallertau Mittelfruh (15m)
15g Saaz (15m)

3787 Wyeast Trappist yeast
10g Irish Moss

Here goes... Since it was going to be an old-fashioned 3 stage decoction mash, I made a fairly early start:
60 minutes at 35°C
60 minutes at 50-55°C
60 minutes at 65-68°C

Grains weighed out nicely in advance:
tripel1_zps705ce69c.jpg

First stage of the mash goes in at 35°C for the acid rest:
tripel2_zpsb2955612.jpg

Since my two thermometers can never agree on anything, I use them together and go on concensus:
tripel3_zpsbe8181e9.jpg

...which is just as well because 15 minutes later, one of them dies!
tripel5_zps349bf303.jpg

Necessary supplies to get me through the brew (it was 10:10am so not quite beer time!):
IMAG0865_zpsbf9b8887.jpg

Acid rest over and it's time to heat some of the mash and raise the temperature:
tripel52_zpsf1835dc8.jpg

I was aiming for 53 for the protein rest, so was quite pleased:
tripel6_zpsab34b6bd.jpg

OK, NOW it's beer time since it is a Six Nations weekend (12:20pm). The old expression goes "it takes money to make money" and I believe that it takes beer to make beer!
tripel7_zps696c8a89.jpg

The yeast starter that I had prepared 48 hours previously (Italy got their first penalty shortly after this which distracted me and made me spill a litre or so of the vorlauf over the floor!):
tripel91_zpsda58c641.jpg

After the mash and vorlauf, the first runnings:
tripel51_zpsab4101d2.jpg

The hops, which were identical for each addition so I just mixed them up, and 1 litre of candy sugar from 1kg of caster which I made yesterday:
tripel81_zps803aee29.jpg

Boiling away nicely.
Now, here is where I think it went wrong. The post-sparge OG with the candy sugar added read at 1065, which was a little on the low side, so I decided to boil for 90 minutes rather than 60. I also kept both elements going for the duration of the boil rather than just one:
tripel9_zps08e04d29.jpg

The final result was losing nearly 50% of the total volume and the OG reading which was a tad higher than what I was aiming for (1090):
tripel999_zps859d6c0f.jpg

The main conclusions that I can take from this are:
1 - switch off one of the elements once the damned boil is reached
2 - I am never doing another 3-stage mash again!

looking good , it ain't easy is it , i'm doing a 40/50/decoction/64/71/76c tomorrow , now the waiting game .

Bloody hell, good luck with that! Do wheat beers need such a variety of rests to extracts the necessary sugars?

well yes in sort but German or Belgian grains should be used as using highly modified malts (like American grain) can do more damage to the brew than good .
It's easier than it sounds although it's around 3hrs mashing even though sacch rests are only around 20 min each , i just start off with minimum amount of water and just add more water to reach temps until decoction , however i am looking into herms which i think would make things easier still

pittsy said:
i just start off with minimum amount of water and just add more water to reach temps until decoction...
You know, I just may do that in future as doing a decoction with the grist was a nightmare.

News time, children!

The fermentation went like a demon - this yeast does not mess about!
1 week in and it's already reading at 1015; that's 12% ABV according to this site's calculator! Looks like it will be best to bottle these puppies and put them away for 6 months or so.

IMAG0888_zps48f53e55.jpg

Does anyone know if fermenting such a big beer will have mutated this yeast (Wyeast 3787)? I like to try and re-use them where possible.

Looks amazing, quite intrigued by this, time for some research. Also coffee fallout 3 and homebrew looks like the best day ever!!!!

The final result was losing nearly 50% of the total volume and the OG reading which was a tad higher than what I was aiming for (1090):

Paul...have i read this right??? :wha: a loss of 50%?? to me that says that you only finished up with around 10liters? or am I looking at it all wrong??

Was thinking the same. 50% boil off is a lot! Most I've ever had is 15 litres from a 60 litre boil.

K

kev said:
Was thinking the same. 50% boil off is a lot! Most I've ever had is 15 litres from a 60 litre boil.

K
There were 23l that went into the boiler, which has 1.7l dead space. There was also 130g of hops, which would have probbaly absorbed around 1.5l or so, so it wasn't as bad as I feared.
The total that went into the fermenter after a 90 minute boil was 14l. I was doing the boil outside when it was pretty cold and I did have both 1000W elements on, when I usually just use one. Still, it's fermented down nicely and I'll be putting it into small bottles!

OK, bottling day!
The beer finished just over 12% abv, from 1105 OG to 1015 FG. It already tastes amazing! It certainly does not taste like 12% abv, with no harsh alcoholic tang and has the lovely rich flavour of Leffe blonde but without its cloying sweetness.
I cannot wait to see what it will be like in 6 months' time - I cannot recommend Wyeast 3787 enough for beers like this - superb stuff!

IMAG0941_zps318801a2.jpg

3787 is awesome, used it in my RIS, still maturing but it carbonated up no problem despite a month long secondary in > 10 % alcohol beer. Adds nice Belgian spice to the beer, I've read that under pitching it also increases the spicy ness you get from this one. What sized/style bottle are you using? What level of carbonation are you going for ? Cheers T

I'm using 330ml bottles simply due to the strength of the beer and am aiming for approximately 2.8 carbonation.
The idea of using it in a RIS is very interesting, but it's not a beer type that I'm particularly familiar with; would you want more esters in the finish than in a simple oatmeal stout recipe?
Also, a month in secondary? Was the beer in cold storage for that time or at room temperature? I've always been very wary of keeping beer for more than 3 weeks in the same FV after losing my very first AG batch in the 3rd week (probably due to constantly opening the lid and drawing samples, to be honest.

Good call on the bottles, hope you drink plenty of Duvel, that style of bottle is the best!

Not sure if the esters are desirable in RIS but the catogory seems loosely defined. The samples I've tasted so far have been good. I guess it's akin to a triple with roasted malt.

I kept it in 5L demijohns, some with oak some without, that hopefully minimized risk of oxidation and infection, although at 10 % and 70 IBUs, the bacteria has it's work cut out.

Looking foreward to some pics and tasting notes on your finished product, will be a bit of a beast, cheers T

Latest posts

Back