Belgian Saison - recipe advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benkbenkbenk

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading the forum for a while, but its my first post.

I am about to brew my third batch of beer. I am aiming for a Saison style beer, and have put together the following recipe:

CaraBelge (Weyermann) 500g Steeped 30mins
Light Dry Malt Extract 3kg
Belgian Candi Sugar (Dark) 1kg

Centennial 60mins 25g
Hersbrucker 30mins 25g
Saaz 10mins 25g
Orange 5mins 35g
Coriander 5mins 15g

Boil Volume 14l
Batch size 22.5l

WYeast 3711 - French Saison

Estimated OG 1.062
Estimated FG 1.014
ABV 6.3%

I want to know when to add the Belgian Candy as I haven't used it before, do I use it just like DME and add from the start of the boil?

Also any advice on how to use the orange and corriander.

Finally, does the recipe look balanced?

Thanks in advance!

I used that yeast a few times a while back and it was very good. Can't remember what my final gravity was exactly but I recon your final gravity may be more along the lines of 1.004 or lower as apposed to 1.014.

When you say 10-15 mins from the end, I presume you mean the Candy Sugar then?

I am working out the attenuation at about 77%, which is the bottom end of the stated range, if it drops lower, I just get a bit of a stronger beer right?

It's going to be fermenting in my cupboard which at the moment is keeping a steady 18C, this is the bottom end of the yeast temperature range, does that mean it will attenuate at the lower end of its range too?

I suppose I will just have to take a few hydrometer readings towards the end of the fermentation to make sure its stopped.

I just get a bit of a stronger beer right?

Yup. It would be a bit drier and have less body also. Nothing to worry about though.

It's going to be fermenting in my cupboard which at the moment is keeping a steady 18C, this is the bottom end of the yeast temperature range, does that mean it will attenuate at the lower end of its range too?

I'm not sure what the effect on the attenuation would be. I brewed at the hotter end of the range. At the colder end watch your fermentation doesn't stick. If it stuck and you then added priming sugar and then bottled up and put the bottles somewhere warmer then you could get bottle bombs.

I just brewed an AG Saison with 3711 and it's a beast of a yeast. I didn't use any sugar and it took the wort from 1.052 down to 1.005 in about 5 days. I really like the yeast. It has a reputation of really drying out a beer. I'd be afraid of adding sugar for fear of drying out the beer too much!

Both sugar and spices are added to the boil, usually sugar @15-10' and spices @10-5'. Curacao shouldn't be boiled for longer than 10', its bitterness is of unpleasant type.

Yeah, I'm not sure whether to use bitter orange or what really.

I've read elsewhere that grated orange peel is just as good. I just want a hint of orangey aroma.

I'm interested to see a fast acting yeast, my previous brews have been of the slow and steady type. Just hope it doesn't blow the airlock out and make a mess of my cupboard!

I don't know, I use only fresh. 8 oranges give enough flavour to balance 15 gms coriander. If I want citrus bomb, I peel 1 or 2 grapefruits additionally.

Thanks for all the advice, gonna brew this tonight. Will let you know how it tastes once done!

Don't be afraid to let that yeast go warm!

I agree. I used this for summer brewing and brewed at the top end of the temp range with no problems.

As you have a cool cupboard it may be a good idea to kick the fermentation off in there for a few days then put it somewhere warmer to finish off.

It all went well last night. A little slow getting the candy to dissolve with all that DME in there which meant my final hop addition had a few extra minutes, but I don't think it will be an issue.

All bubbling away nicely, with a good krausen.

Thanks again for the advice.

Well, I'm drinking this one now, and it tastes great. A little too much alcohol flavour at first, not surprising as it came out at about 6.9%, but it seems to be mellowing out. It tastes better from the fridge than from the cellar, and the orange and coriander are definitely there without being overpowering.

The only problem is I can't keep drinking it all day, you feel your legs start to go after two or three!

benkbenkbenk said:
The only problem is I can't keep drinking it all day, you feel your legs start to go after two or three!

That's exactly why on my last Saison, I refactored the recipe to about 5.5%. That has worked much better for me. :drink:

Latest posts

Back