IIPA - James; the Legend

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad someone took it upon themselves to do this one. Citra is a very worthwhile hop, if expensive. I've just completed a Columbus/Cascade DIPA and wonder if you might be interested in a bottle swap in a few months?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Glad someone took it upon themselves to do this one. Citra is a very worthwhile hop, if expensive. I've just completed a Columbus/Cascade DIPA and wonder if you might be interested in a bottle swap in a few months?

Yessssss.

Assuming I have any left after a few months :lol:

I'll put a couple aside...

Hi,

I know this an old thread but I had a question about the IBUs from the hop stand / whirlpool. I recently did a hop stand for about 40 mins at (I think) 80 degrees (probably a bit more), and the resulting beer was more bitter than I had been expecting. In my calculations the flameout hops (100g) did not contribute any IBUs but I do not believe this! Also on beersmith it says flameout hops at 90 degrees have a 50% utilization compared to boiled hops but I think that is based on a constant rather than dropping temperature.

So my question is how long did the whirlpool hops spend at the temperatures you describe? How did you calculate the IBUs they contributed? What software are you using?

Cheers

I was thinking of immersion chilling carefully to 80 C, turning off the water flow to the chiller then adding the hops, lid on but stirring occasionally for as long as possible until either the hops drop or it hits 60 C (will see which happens first, might be able to insulate the boiler to keep the temp up) then fast chilling. Got the idea from this article: http://www.bear-flavored.com/2013/07/the-benefits-of-hop-stand-whirlpool.html

Also when I boil hops I do tend to get the green/woody/garden aftertaste and apparently the way to avoid that is to use the extract/hopshot so I won't be substituting that with hops like in the recipe in 1st post did.

I take it the "for" in the recipe is a mistake and should be "at". Like dry hop at 10 days rather than for 10 days. 4, sometimes 5 days is meant to be the optimum dry hop time for NEIPA according to Kimmich.

Hi all

this is probably a stupid question but at what stage is it best to add the Dextrose? End of boil?

Thanks

I brewed it, had a great result.

MpT90V3.jpg

Some tweaks and minor changes over the recipe given but kept it in the same style. 95% MO, 5% Dextrose, 8IBU chinook in the boil.

I used Dana, Columbus, Comet in the WP. Opal, Topaz for the first DH charge and then Opal, Vic secret for the second dose. I fermented with WY1318, had 1.090--> 1.024 in a touch over 4 days with a relatively cool fermentation.

Latest posts

Back