The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have an understanding of how an internet trader like CML gets hold of brewing yeast? Can't imagine any of the name brand European or American yeast manufacturers would sell yeast on to be sold as generic 'ale yeast' or whatever, at a fraction of the price the branded stuff sells at. So what, they go Far East, something like that? Are we brewing with another cheap and cheerful Chinese import? Just curious as to how the world works.

This has been covered before on one of the other threads; think it's an European manufacturer, can't remember where. Don't forget CML are primarily a commercial brewery who brew small batches for people so they will have trade contacts. Also, I *think* I've remember reading that it isn't CML who package the yeast but the manufacturer.

Does anyone have an understanding of how an internet trader like CML gets hold of brewing yeast? Can't imagine any of the name brand European or American yeast manufacturers would sell yeast on to be sold as generic 'ale yeast' or whatever, at a fraction of the price the branded stuff sells at. So what, they go Far East, something like that? Are we brewing with another cheap and cheerful Chinese import? Just curious as to how the world works.

The rumour is that their yeast is from these guys in Germany.

I suspect, based on the fact that they cut and paste a lot of the information from Mangrove Jack's literature that they are made at the same place, SPL in Ellesmere Port.

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

The rumour is that their yeast is from these guys in Germany.

Strange looking website. In fact if their chemistry is anywhere as near good as their web design I'd say they must be knocking up yeast in a bathtub somewhere.

I'd imagined yeast manufacture to be a sufficiently complicated process as to be only carried out by reasonably sophisticated businesses, that image certainly doesn't fit that website.

Have just tried a small bottle of a Belgian blonde that i brewed with the cml belgian yeast. Lovely and clear and yeast stable at bottom of bottle.
Not sure if it's my type of beer,never tried one before so can't do a comparison, but it's certainly not nasty in any way.

Have just tried a small bottle of a Belgian blonde that i brewed with the cml belgian yeast. Lovely and clear and yeast stable at bottom of bottle.
Not sure if it's my type of beer,never tried one before so can't do a comparison, but it's certainly not nasty in any way.

I am just about to bottle my Brewferm Christmas Ale which I brewed with half a pack of the Belgian yeast. The sample from the sample jar is incredibly clear. The phenolic smell and taste has mellowed somewhat but it reminds me of the yeast taste in a Stone Cali-Belgique IPA. I believe that may be an acquired taste - I love it, my brother hates it!

Can someone describe 'phenolic' to me, please? I'm going to broaden my beer horizons and have ordered some CML Belgian yeast for just that, and have been perusing some Belgian recipes to use it on! Have I jumped the gun, cos 'phenol' to me says 'TCP'?

Can someone describe 'phenolic' to me, please? I'm going to broaden my beer horizons and have ordered some CML Belgian yeast for just that, and have been perusing some Belgian recipes to use it on! Have I jumped the gun, cos 'phenol' to me says 'TCP'?
Are you getting scientific?????

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm going to broaden my beer horizons

Hi!
Mrs. Gunge: You are drinking far too much.
Gunge: I'm broadening my beer horizons.

image.jpeg

Phenolic flavour is usually associated with a Clove like, peppery flavour at normal levels in beer. At higher levels, if the fermentation temperature is to high, or the yeast is stressed, it can go smokey and even medicinal in character. Very much the same flavour found in whiskey as they get peatier.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Are you getting scientific?????

It's possible but unlikely. I always thought that the antiseptic brand TCP was an acronym for 'TriChloroPhenol' but when I investigated shortly after asking the question, it seems I was barking up the wrong tree. But the 'phenol' bit has thrown me... so, does a 'phenolic' beer taste of TCP or no? If so, it's back to the drawing board.

Edit: Thank you Sadfield - posting at exactly the same time! The yeast pack states that it can be used up to 28C to accentuate the characteristic flavours. That seems way higher than I'm comfortable with. What temp would you recommend to bring out the best of it without going over the top - bearing in mind that I'm dipping my toes in the water, so to speak. Thanks!

Last edited:
It's possible but unlikely. I always thought that the antiseptic brand TCP was an acronym for 'TriChloroPhenol' but when I investigated shortly after asking the question, it seems I was barking up the wrong tree. But the 'phenol' bit has thrown me... so, does a 'phenolic' beer taste of TCP or no? If so, it's back to the drawing board.

Edit: Thank you Sadfield - posting at exactly the same time! The yeast pack states that it can be used up to 28C to accentuate the characteristic flavours. That seems way higher than I'm comfortable with. What temp would you recommend to bring out the best of it without going over the top - bearing in mind that I'm dipping my toes in the water, so to speak. Thanks!
I've not used the CML yeast, but with Belgian Abbey strains you'll be pretty safe at 20-25c, as long as you are pitching enough yeast. The extremes of phenol taste are more common in wild yeasts and German Wheat beer yeasts. The offending compound is 4 vinyl guaiacol, which may be one of the phenols that make up TCP.

Just as Sadfield has described. A clove smell and taste a bit like the old Yorkshire mix hardboiled sweets. If it becomes too strong, it goes very medicinal/ TCP-like.

I'm pretty sure mine is from stressed yeast being warm when the heating is on and then temps dropping dramatically overnight and the cycle repeating during fermentation. So, just luck, in my case!

Obviously what i can detect in my Belgian Blonde, don't know how to describe it. It will get drunk but not sure if i would re brew one,least ways not yet.

The kveik yeast I have ferments up to 39c! Last lot I brewed at 27c and it was very clean.
Not used a kveik yeast yet, but think they should be more available for those that brew without temperature control, and maybe replace most kit yeast. Omega sell the Stranda Kveik strain as Hot Head and claim there is very little flavour change over a wide temperature range.

Back