Braggot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor

Bearded Brewer
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but since I think Braggot comes under the classification of Mead although it's kinda Beer I'll put it here.
Has anyone on here tried to make Braggot before? I have just made one today but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. If anybody has a recipe post it below or if you want to know mine just ask.

Hi Razor

TBH I have never heard of this before so I will be interested to see how it turns out.

What is your recipe??

Braggot?

Braggot is a form of mead made with both honey and barley malt. It typically uses 1/3 or more malt and may have as much as 50% malt

thanks Google :thumb:

Hi Razor

TBH I have never heard of this before so I will be interested to see how it turns out.

What is your recipe??
I made it up like a SMaSH but with the honey added in the DJ.
1kg Maris Otter
15g of I think it was Centennial 5g@60 10g@5
1020g honey
starter of S04 and 1tsp of yeast nutrient
OG came in at 1100

hows it looking then?
It looks good. Can't really tell the colour as it's in a green glass DJ. When I had to shake it to mix the honey in, it got a pretty good head on it. I don't have a pic at the minute but I'll post one when I can.

I made it up like a SMaSH but with the honey added in the DJ.
1kg Maris Otter
15g of I think it was Centennial 5g@60 10g@5
1020g honey
starter of S04 and 1tsp of yeast nutrient
OG came in at 1100

It looks good. Can't really tell the colour as it's in a green glass DJ. When I had to shake it to mix the honey in, it got a pretty good head on it. I don't have a pic at the minute but I'll post one when I can.

more importantly than the pic - tell us what it tastes like:mrgreen::thumb::thumb:

more importantly than the pic - tell us what it tastes like:mrgreen::thumb::thumb:

Well at the minute it tastes like really sweet wort :-? haha. I'm hoping it'll taste better in a few weeks. I'm thinking I may need to add a high alc wine yeast when the ale one burns out or it's going to mega sweet.

I may have some blow off problems with this brew.
b876ddc96eef99ae7c0d3df2b7181129.jpg

There seems to be a lot of krausen formed already.
e7ad9214c517a3a45be98fd59554d3fb.jpg

It was cascade hops I used not centennial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update.
The SG has dropped to 1010 between 3/11-14/12. I've added some GV4 yeast to see if I can get the gravity down a bit more so I don't get bottle bombs. The taste from the sample jar was nice hoppy ale but very sweet.

Hope it comes out better than my attempt which had a huge alcohol kick and not much else. My recipe was:
2.1Kg maris otter
400g Crystal
2.5Kg honey added at flame out
3 x 25g northdown first wort, 10 & 5 mins
Nottingham yeast
OG 1.057 FG 1.002 yes almost totally dry which I think is the problem. Without the sweetness the honey tastes chemical/medicinal. If mixed with some sprite to get some sweetness back its quite nice but not something I would make again.

Hope it comes out better than my attempt which had a huge alcohol kick and not much else. My recipe was:
2.1Kg maris otter
400g Crystal
2.5Kg honey added at flame out
3 x 25g northdown first wort, 10 & 5 mins
Nottingham yeast
OG 1.057 FG 1.002 yes almost totally dry which I think is the problem. Without the sweetness the honey tastes chemical/medicinal. If mixed with some sprite to get some sweetness back its quite nice but not something I would make again.

What size batch was that? I made 5l. Also your OG is a good bit lower than mine. I'm hoping to get mine in the bottle before New Years if I can get it down to about 1.005 or lower I'll be happy. It still tasted pretty sweet last night so I'm hoping it'll retain some of that. Thinking of maybe doing a dry hop or hop tea also.

It was a 23L batch the Fg should have been much higher with just the grain but the honey just made the yeast go crazy or something.

It was a 23L batch the Fg should have been much higher with just the grain but the honey just made the yeast go crazy or something.

That's weird. Hopefully you'll give it another try. Maybe a smaller batch to see if you can figure out what happened :lol: Isn't Nottingham one of those yeasts that will power through anything?

Dry hopped today with 15g of Cascade. Really strong alcohol flavour hopefully that will mellow out with time. Will be bottling next week. Don't think the AG will drop any lower.
0bdbfd877a7af3e2e2a5c0c3918d6acd.jpg

Just bottled this today after 2 months, about 8 weeks in primary and 5 days in secondary for dry hop. got 9 500ml bottles primed with 1/2 tsp sugar in each. Will hopefully taste test in about 4 weeks.

Hi Razor, how's you're braggot turned out? I saw Simon saying elsewhere that his wasn't any good and some searching brought me here.

Latest posts

Back