Oatmeal Chocolate Milk Stout (Brann's Breakfast Stout)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrannBrew

Damo Brann
Reaction score
1st time I tried brewing a Stout, I decided not to hold back and brew a Oatmeal, Chocolate Milk Stout. Turned out bloody lovely!! apart from my dry hopped Saison, this is the best recipe I've brewed and have no real need to drastically change the recipe, so here it is.

Batch Size: 15ls

STATS:
ABV (standard): 5.62%

Malt:
2600 g - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (64.8%)
300 g - Flaked Oats (7.5%)
210 g - United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 120L (5.2%)
210 g - United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate (5.2%)
210 g - Wheat (5.2%)
130 g - Carafa Special Malt Type 1 (3.2%)
130 g - Dark Crystal (3.2%)
130 g - German - Chocolate Wheat (3.2%)
90 g - United Kingdom - Brown (2.2%)

HOPS:
9 g - Magnum, Boil for 60 min
6 g - Sorachi Ace, Boil for 15 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 64 C, Time: 75 min, Amount: 22 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
200 g - lactose, Time: 10 min,
60 g - cacao Time: 0
15 g - ground coffee Time: 0
50 g - Cacao, Time: 5 days Use: Primary

YEAST:
Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Fermentation Temp: 19 C

PRIMING:
Method: table sugar
CO2 Level: 2.3 Volumes

NOTES:
stand for 15mins before cooling for coffee/chocolate infusion

1st time I tried brewing a Stout, I decided not to hold back and brew a Oatmeal, Chocolate Milk Stout. Turned out bloody lovely!! apart from my dry hopped Saison, this is the best recipe I've brewed and have no real need to drastically change the recipe, so here it is.

Batch Size: 15ls

STATS:
ABV (standard): 5.62%

Malt:
2600 g - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (64.8%)
300 g - Flaked Oats (7.5%)
210 g - United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 120L (5.2%)
210 g - United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate (5.2%)
210 g - Wheat (5.2%)
130 g - Carafa Special Malt Type 1 (3.2%)
130 g - Dark Crystal (3.2%)
130 g - German - Chocolate Wheat (3.2%)
90 g - United Kingdom - Brown (2.2%)

HOPS:
9 g - Magnum, Boil for 60 min
6 g - Sorachi Ace, Boil for 15 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 64 C, Time: 75 min, Amount: 22 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
200 g - lactose, Time: 10 min,
60 g - cacao Time: 0
15 g - ground coffee Time: 0
50 g - Cacao, Time: 5 days Use: Primary

YEAST:
Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Fermentation Temp: 19 C

PRIMING:
Method: table sugar
CO2 Level: 2.3 Volumes

NOTES:
stand for 15mins before cooling for coffee/chocolate infusion

I brewed a 10l batch of this in February and bottled it in March. I've been trying it for the last couple of weeks. This is by far the best beer I've brewed. Thanks for the recipe BrannBrew!
20180406_190919.jpg

Many thanks for the vote of confidence. Considering it was a recipe I threw together from various parts of others I was really chuffed with it and it's a house favourite. Will be brewing this again this year at some point after I've finished brewing for a friends wedding.

Hi brannbrew
looking to brew this one, where do you get your ingredients looking on malt miller website and I can get everything apart from the german chocolate wheat any ideas. thanks

Last edited:
Hi brannbrew
looking to brew this one, where do you get your ingredients looking on malt miller website and I can get everything apart from the german chocolate wheat any ideas. thanks
Hi, I've only ever ordered from maltmiller or geter brewed. Looking on malt Millers legacy recipe kits I can't find it so I must of ordered it from geter brewed that time

got all my bits now thanks for the reply really looking forward to attempting this one as stouts are one of my favourite beers :thumb:

I had just recently put together a recipe for a oatmeal/milk stout and have just seen yours, our recipes are very very similar, however seeing as how we both seem to like to invent or cobble together recipes that's not much of a surprise. There are a couple of things you had added that I didn't but still close. I am aiming for a 25 litre batch but the percentages of grain in yours and mine are still almost spot on too.

Did you know what your IBU's were and what colour (EBC) it worked out at, would help me in a final check before I decide to brew it, thanks.

Picture below shows the colour but looking at my recipe ibus were 29.41 and srm (colour) was 38.49. Have been very tempted to Brew this one again next, however have had more of an erge to Brew my galactic panda black ipa.

DSC_0004.JPG

Brilliant thanks, my IBu's are at 27 and SRM is 32 when I convert it back from EBC so quite similar, am going with all Sorachi in the boil if I make it as they need using up. Looks an absolute belter too

Ordered and received all the ingredients for this, and hope to brew very soon!

Ok so I have now brewed and bottled the stout, I wont know exactly what its like till close to Christmas, however I did get a taste when syphoning it into bottles, and it seems pretty nice. One thing though, and I will mention this on my stout thread is it didn't seem to take long to ferment, about 4 days in total which I thought was odd, not to mention 6 days too short

What temp did you ferment at?
Isn't US 04 English Ale a faster fermenting yeast? I haven't used it before.

Hoping to brew on Sunday.

What temp did you ferment at?
Isn't US 04 English Ale a faster fermenting yeast? I haven't used it before.
Hoping to brew on Sunday.
19c was what I fermented at for 2 weeks, I looked back at my brew log and tasted it after 5 days, then waited a few more days before I put the 2nd round of nibs in.
Do the cacao nibs go "in" at the 5th day or fermentation?
nibs went in at flameout (similar to a hop stand) and then 5 days prior to transfer to keg.

Had 2 days of intense fermentation, slowed up a bit today.
Lovely smell lingering in my brew room though!

Wow, just spotted this and it looks like a belter of a recipe, it's going on my 'to brew' list. Wonder if I can get it in and conditioned in time for December now?

@BrannBrew Just a query the Cacao nibs you used, were they raw or roasted do you know, did you grind them at all? And the coffee was just straight ground coffee, not brewed or steeped or anything?

Thanks for sharing the recipe, looking forward to this one!

I have a few stouts planned, one I created myself to use up some specialty malts which have been sitting a while. Think I will also add this to the list, I have never added coffee before so also interested how best to do this.

Back