Camra,,, wtf?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would read the mag but I only recieved one, and the newsletter s stopped about the same time. Joined in April.
Sent an email off two weeks ago to no avail.
Me thinks I'll not be renewing my membership. The vouchers were helpful though
My subs run out on 20th august,they decided to take me money on first of July:twisted:
no new vouchers as yet either.Will wait until 20 th and see what happens.
Don't think i shall renew next year however.

I will say one thing about CAMRA, the beer magazine is often rather a good read and sometimes has interesting recipes. Also, if you go to enough beer festivals you could easily end up saving if you join, especially when they do offers for joining (I got £5 free beer at the festival when I signed up).

Shouldn't their name be Campaign for Real Ale and Pubs????

No,, Hang on. They don't want me 'cos I keg :doh: So, what I brew is obviously not 'real ale' an inferior bast*rd brew contained in a similar container, but not 'real' egnough for them and I am a restaurant, not a pub.Try to come in here without booking for a meal and you get the goodbye wave,,,

But they like beer in casks. So, should it not be the CAMpaign for Cask Real Ale and Pubs

CAMCRAP!! :lol:

I think CAMRA have had their time. was fine when the smaller brewerys were being taken over by the big boys.
Now that there are hundreds of micro brewers I don't think there is a need for CAMRA
I have never been to a beer fest, I will get to one someday.
In Ipswich we are blessed with a few pubs that have 20 or more beers on the go at any one time

My thoughts on this are that CAMRA did a good job at a time when pubs were dominated buy big Brewers, but they also had help from I believe a Maggie Thatcher government who broke up the Brewers monopoly by cutting the amount of pubs they could own ( there way around that was the brewery's got into food in a big way) but which in turn opened the door to smaller Brewers get a toe in the door and realising that with CAMERA's campaign for real ale it could help them by getting in there real ale guides, so the two went hand in hand.
So all what CAMERA THINK they did they didn't do it alone! I think that's where them being seen as aloof comes from, they came across as the Lone Ranger and it wasn't all down to them, But at the time they did a damn good job and quite rightly should be proud, but also remember it was also a case of right place, right time,
Now here is the another thing since Gordon Brown ( I'm not sure of the name of this and can't be bothered with googling it) brought in the small Brewers pay a lot less duty thing that then started another brewing revolution, along with the USA suddenly finding its brewing feet and make something akin to real beer that the "yanks" wanted to drink, after all they must of been sick to death of all the different types but the same tasting Buds & Millers that dominated over there, I know I was every time I went there! Well they started to like the taste of hops and then designed there own new hops, citra come to mind for example, then this then caught on over here.
Well it's caught the old boys club at CAMERA on the hop and they for some strange reason can't bring themselves to admit to and embrace good modern beer can come in different packaging
Come on CAMRA. I love a beer festival but it should be a festival of ALL good beer, get back to what you did best and bang the drum for great beer but do it for ALL GOOD BEER, then all they need to do is shine a light on any poor massed produced swill, just like they did in the bad old days and sing high praise of any well made great tasting commercial brew how ever it's made or packaged, good beer tastes good, it's that simple

So CAMRA have past their day?

Yet traditional British beer is under insidious attack from the trite outpourings of vastly over-carbonated "hoppyade" from the likes of Brewdog. At least the immature drinkers have got something slightly better to quaff than "alcopops".

:twisted:

I am hoping they will wake up and protect pubs that must be struggling with the new business rates increases some of which have doubled (like ours,,,, :-( ) Lots more pubs will close if something is not done. But it would be nice to include keg beers under their umbrella. We are registering under their Brewery Registration scheme though :thumb:

So CAMRA have past their day?

Yet traditional British beer is under insidious attack from the trite outpourings of vastly over-carbonated "hoppyade" from the likes of Brewdog. At least the immature drinkers have got something slightly better to quaff than "alcopops".

:twisted:
Brewdog offer something different, if you don't like it don't drink it, if something is not to yours or my taste it doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different,for the sake of our pubs variety is probably the way forward, as long as it's made from hops, malt, yeast and water (which sounds pretty much traditional to me) and is without the aid of a chemist to add artificially whatever is lacking it can't be all bad
I see it a bit like cars, on most days I would enjoy pottering around in an old well kept MG, but once in a while it's nice to jump in a well made Porsche and up the revs a bit

... over-carbonated "hoppyade" from the likes of Brewdog. At least the immature drinkers have got something slightly better to quaff than "alcopops".

I could be wrong, but in my mind this is the sort of attitude which prevails among CAMRA members and is exactly what puts me off it. It's the same arrogant attitude we always hear from CAMRA supporters, you're immature or ignorant if you don't drink what they define as "real ale" :roll: People are s****y enough to one another without a persons choice of drink being another basis for insults.

I could be wrong, but in my mind this is the sort of attitude which prevails among CAMRA members and is exactly what puts me off it. It's the same arrogant attitude we always hear from CAMRA supporters, you're immature or ignorant if you don't drink what they define as "real ale" :roll: People are s****y enough to one another without a persons choice of drink being another basis for insults.
Now, now. That's the sort of constructive feedback that will get you branded as a CAMRA basher. Ironic that 'one of UKs largest consumer groups' don't care for opinions and tastes of all beer drinkers. Irony, that brings me onto the subject of CAMRA beer festivals where their own guidelines on Cellermanship get completely ignored, and beers often get served too soon and always at least six degrees too warm. In most cases a keg setup would be more suitable for the venue.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Now, now. That's the sort of constructive feedback that will get you branded as a CAMRA basher. Ironic that 'one of UKs largest consumer groups' don't care for opinions and tastes of all beer drinkers. Irony, that brings me onto the subject of CAMRA beer festivals where their own guidelines on Cellermanship get completely ignored, and beers often get served too soon and always at least six degrees too warm. In most cases a keg setup would be more suitable for the venue.

I went to last year's Belfast Ale Festival which is organised and run by CAMRA, and I would estimate that at least half of all the beers there were American pale ales, each one more disappointing than the last. I'm surprised cascade hasn't been put on the endangered species list after the amount I ingested that night. So great job championing traditional British ales there CAMRA (whatever that means).

Aye, the 'C' hop domination is actually starting to even bore me! :doh: Even our local Coop has about 10-15 american style ipa's. Tried them all and I would stock very few.

Happily my favourite beers still stand the test of time. Maybe not trendy, but when I put my CAMRA cap on nowt gets my taste buds as excited as these awesome beers/lagers;

Lomond West Highland Way
Lomond Southern Summit
Harvistoun Bitter & Twisted
Harvistoun Shehallion
Fyne Ales Avalanche
Fyne Ales Vital Spark
Durham Magus
Mordue Workie Ticket
Coniston Bluebird..
FFS, there's a tear in my eye soooo waiting to gargle some of them again,,,

Brewdog offer something different, if you don't like it don't drink it, if something is not to yours or my taste it doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different,for the sake of our pubs variety is probably the way forward, as long as it's made from hops, malt, yeast and water (which sounds pretty much traditional to me) and is without the aid of a chemist to add artificially whatever is lacking it can't be all bad
I see it a bit like cars, on most days I would enjoy pottering around in an old well kept MG, but once in a while it's nice to jump in a well made Porsche and up the revs a bit
Excellently put. I like CAMRA and Brewdog...and i don't understand why people think they should be mutually exclusive.

I've been to a couple of CAMRA festivals which have keg beer. People always think they're dead against it, which they were, but it doesn't seem to be the case...they still need to evolve hugely but I don't think they're as stuffy as people believe.

Excellently put. I like CAMRA and Brewdog...and i don't understand why people think they should be mutually exclusive.
I don't understand why people don't know when they're being wound up.

Then again, if they did know there wouldn't be any fun doing it. But credit to this site's users, I failed to set off more than just a few minor ripples.

Right back to preparing that DIYDog "Dead Pony Club" clone for kegging. I must streamline this dry-hopping business.

Back