Fresh hop Question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishwizard

Regular.
Reaction score
I been thinking...dangerous thing for the Irish I know
Why would you use more fresh hops than dried in a brew.
It don't make sense to me, the more I think about it.
But Im sure there is a VERY scientific reason why??
If you wish to reply to this thread please don't use / quote scientific garbage that isn't proven i.e "I heard"... " I read somewhere"... "I think"...etc

Because fresh contains moisture/water and dried has had it evaporated so more concentrated

I think I read somewhere about this brewery guy who thinks dried hops are better because the moon's gravitational pull wreaks havoc with the moisture in fresh hops.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I think I read somewhere about this brewery guy who thinks dried hops are better because the moon's gravitational pull wreaks havoc with the moisture in fresh hops.

brilliant Marty..
Do you have any scientific evidence for this
you obviously can't read/ can read/can't understand/dont care/Lets talk ********/lets make something up...you should be in Parliament!
Im left completely gobsmacked by the genuine thought given to poster on this forum.
I can only assume you on drugs/medication or drink too much:lol::nono:

I think because fresh hop cones contain a lot more of the cone that's not needed whereas concentrated hop pellets contain more of the inner ( lupus?) Bit so weight for weight the full fresh cone needs to be more.I think

I think because fresh hop cones contain a lot more of the cone that's not needed whereas concentrated hop pellets contain more of the inner ( lupus?) Bit so weight for weight the full fresh cone needs to be more.I think

I see what your saying here, but surely, fresh hops are identical to dried hops
i.e. fresh peas/frozen peas...no??

I think you need to use 6 x the weight of dried hops due to the water content as has been mentioned.
Bit like the difference between fresh herbs & dried.

I'm with Martybhoy it's definitely the effects of the moon. That and the juju runs strong in fresh hops but has been tamed by the gods of the field in dried.

Because fresh contains moisture/water and dried has had it evaporated so more concentrated

I am quoting here the chap who makes the sensible point.

As a complete aside, can anyone say how it is that raisins weigh less than grapes? Or prunes less than plums? Or dried SMA less than cow's milk? These are the true mysteries.

I am quoting here the chap who makes the sensible point.

As a complete aside, can anyone say how it is that raisins weigh less than grapes? Or prunes less than plums? Or dried SMA less than cow's milk? These are the true mysteries.
Apparently holy water is heavier than tap water.

...because they are dehydrated. ..water=weight

Ahh, yes, at long last, now I understand.

Many thanks, Clint.

I sort of get frustrated sometimes and apologise for that.

I been thinking...dangerous thing for the Irish I know
Why would you use more fresh hops than dried in a brew.
It don't make sense to me, the more I think about it.
But Im sure there is a VERY scientific reason why??
If you wish to reply to this thread please don't use / quote scientific garbage that isn't proven i.e "I heard"... " I read somewhere"... "I think"...etc

Fresh hops contain water and dry ones don't...End of.

As with any plant, as soon as you pick it, it will start to deteriate (sp).
Fresh hops (also known as Green hops) to the flavour to another level. The reason they are dried is to preserve them for storage. Use a moderate dry hop for bittering. Finish with fresh green hops 15 mins from the end of the boil. Do not dry hop with fresh hops as they can taste a little "grassy".

I see what your saying here, but surely, fresh hops are identical to dried hops
i.e. fresh peas/frozen peas...no??

Nah..! As already said fresh contain a lot of water, so dried are more concentrated. Making fresh 6 - 8 times heavier ( or thereabouts as I understand it).

I Did use fresh hops last September, straight from the hedgerow, in a Wherry kit I had. I was trying to emulate a green hop ale. It seemed to work at the time, but the green hop taste slowly faded over a few months. So I guess green hopped ale should be drunk while young...... ( I was drunk while young once ) :whistle:

Nah..! As already said fresh contain a lot of water, so dried are more concentrated. Making fresh 6 - 8 times heavier ( or thereabouts as I understand it).

I Did use fresh hops last September, straight from the hedgerow, in a Wherry kit I had. I was trying to emulate a green hop ale. It seemed to work at the time, but the green hop taste slowly faded over a few months. So I guess green hopped ale should be drunk while young...... ( I was drunk while young once ) :whistle:
Thanks Marlon.Im going to dry hop I guess with some home groan stuff later in the year. depends on the yield. Will I dry them?? Not sure yet. depends on weather and facilities

Thanks Marlon.Im going to dry hop I guess with some home groan stuff later in the year. depends on the yield. Will I dry them?? Not sure yet. depends on weather and facilities

I've never tried drying them yet, but I've got 3 plants growing in the back garden this year. So think I'll try drying some at least. I remember last September a few forumites demonstrated their drying methods, but SWMBO said I could try drying mine in 'HER'oven on a low gas. Reckon I could spread'em out on baking trays and give it a go. If I fail in spectacular fashion, my local HBS stocks plenty.. :doh:

Any oven is way too hot for drying hops. A airing cupboard is a better temp. There is a art to drying hops. It not difficult but you do need patience.
Weigh the green hops and put them into a mushroom chip and put them into a airing cupboard.
You want to loose 75% of total weight (water)...ie ...if you have 100g of green hops you want finish up with 25g of dried hops.

Any oven is way too hot for drying hops. A airing cupboard is a better temp. There is a art to drying hops. It not difficult but you do need patience.
Weigh the green hops and put them into a mushroom chip and put them into a airing cupboard.
You want to loose 75% of total weight (water)...ie ...if you have 100g of green hops you want finish up with 25g of dried hops.

wots a mushroom chip???please

Latest posts

Back