Minced Raisins?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastLord

Reaction score
Hi there,
Just getting started (this is my first lost!) and I have the CJJ Berry Winemaking book.
His meadowsweet wine recipe asks for a pound of minced raisins.
I know this is an old book and just wondered if this is still the best way to do things.
Any advice gratefully received :)

Back when I was making wines, I used to rinse them in warm water (as they can be waxy) and then chucked them in the blender with a bit of water to make a raisin smoothie to add to the rest :thumb:

Hi there,

Just getting started (this is my first lost!) and I have the CJJ Berry Winemaking book.

His meadowsweet wine recipe asks for a pound of minced raisins.

I know this is an old book and just wondered if this is still the best way to do things.

Any advice gratefully received :)

You can mince, chop or boil (or combination of 2).
I’ve tried all 3 but to be honest have since stopped using them as I found it to be hit and miss, very often they’ve added a sherry like flavour to my wines which apparently on reading is a common risk with raisins.

Give it a go though , as a newbie I found the only way to learn with wine was trial and error and following some of the old recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Chippy! Years ago I made orange wine using juice I squeezed myself and it was very well received so hopefully this might be the same :)

Back when I was making wines, I used to rinse them in warm water (as they can be waxy) and then chucked them in the blender with a bit of water to make a raisin smoothie to add to the rest :thumb:
Thanks for the reply Adrian. I don't have a mincer but do have a mini chopper so this would work for me!

Thanks Chippy! Years ago I made orange wine using juice I squeezed myself and it was very well received so hopefully this might be the same :)

If you cannot find white grape juice give 1 litre of red grape juice and 1.5 litres of apple juice a try it's a forum favorite.

Many years ago I tried that meadowsweet recipe hoping to capture the delightful aroma but the resulting wine was very dull.
Minced sultanas (cheaper than raisins at Tesco) solve the problem of the lack of availability of white grape juice and are considerably cheaper than concentrate.

Many years ago I tried that meadowsweet recipe hoping to capture the delightful aroma but the resulting wine was very dull.
Minced sultanas (cheaper than raisins at Tesco) solve the problem of the lack of availability of white grape juice and are considerably cheaper than concentrate.

Its the wifes favourite flower so thats whats driving it really - that and having fields of them locally.
Thanks for the sultanas tip :thumb:

Back