Brewbuddy cider kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsparky99

Newbie kit brewer
Reaction score
First bash at a cider, hopefully ive not ruined it by adding apple juice to it....

Batch size: 21litres

Fermentables: 3 litres of Tesco concentrate apple juice (288g sugar), 3 litres of Tesco no added sugar apple juice (has sucralose sweetner so only 60g sugar), Tesco golden granulated sugar 652g.

Water: 15 litres of Tesco ashbeck

Yeast: Kit nutrient and yeast

Pitching temp: 19.3C

OG: 1036

Used 3 litres of the ashbeck water boiled and used between dissolving the sugar and washing out the can. Poured in everything and made sure everything was well stirred before pitching the yeast. In the brew fridge set at 18C.

Bottled the cider tonight, been 15 days in the fv and I crashed cooled for two days before bringing back up again. Cleared up really well! Worked out the abv at 5.66%, very happy with that. 6 weeks until I taste a drop......

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

Well.... After about 6 weeks in the bottle, I did a taste test with Sainsburys original cider and my wife preferred the home brew!

Good carbonation, very clear and very little yeast that compacted well at the bottom. Its a 'light'/delicate tasting cider which doesn't overpower with alcohol taste, but you know its there. It might be slightly thin, but I actually really like it. No nasty home brew tangs or funny business. I really impressed that a cheapo kit and kit yeast worked so well.

Now to supply work with more brew for tasting!

Well.... After about 6 weeks in the bottle, I did a taste test with Sainsburys original cider and my wife preferred the home brew!

Good carbonation, very clear and very little yeast that compacted well at the bottom. Its a 'light'/delicate tasting cider which doesn't overpower with alcohol taste, but you know its there. It might be slightly thin, but I actually really like it. No nasty home brew tangs or funny business. I really impressed that a cheapo kit and kit yeast worked so well.

Now to supply work with more brew for tasting!

nice work mate, how get stuck into some Turbo Cider recipes ! :grin:

Back