Rye beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMayf

Reaction score
So, t'other day I had my first rye beer.

Guinness Rye Pale Ale of all things.

I was pleasantly surprised. Can anyone recommend any other good rye beers that are easily found in the shops for me to try? (And ultimately brew!)

Adams do a good one. Brewdog Albino Squid Assassin is my favourite but alas it was a small batch not a regular.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Look in Morrisons and try and the longhorn IPA. I don't usually advocate the supermarkets for craft beer as they creating the race to the bottom of craft beer prices.

But that one, and crafty dans 13 guns rye IPA are all not bad versions of the style.

Needless to say. I love a rye beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like Ryes, but I find Shipyard a bit cloying. The use of rye crystal rather than plain rye gives it a toffee back note that is too sweet for my taste. When I have a rye I want that hint of sourness and dryness, but Shipyard has a Wurthers thing going on for me.

Interestingly I only revisited it following a thread on here trying to emulate the grain bill, and if anything I thinks the sweetness has increased in recent times.

Back