The down the sink thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
I thought for a laugh i would start a thread where anyone can post about their undrinkables. I have had many and the latest to be ditched will be a wheat beer. I think the problem was the dried yeast, probably old and this batch tasted like a kit. I aint drinking that, be gone with you foul brew.

I have a few condition Amarillo infused hop blonde ale as i like to call it in the cupboard that I know are gusher's but don't have the heart to wash them away.....😩

I should have posted that I'd chucked my take on the Brooklyn Brew Shop's Edelweiss (wheat beer) down the sink as although it tasted OK it was as flat as a pancake.
Cue a moment of desperation/forlorn hope and I put 2 grams of honey into the 4 remaining 500ml bottles - the result? Well very drinkable if I do say so :thumb:

More luck than leaned skill I reckon but I'm chuffed :smile:

I try not to throw stuff away just 'cos it doesn't taste right today; 'cos it might come good in a few months. :thumb:

However, I think that the eighteen month old Barley Wine that tastes like dark 'bitter' chocolate may just have got me beat. It is barely drinkable mixed with lemonade but as it's only eighteen months old it might still come good. :whistle:

PS

The only exception is if a brew smells or tastes like vinegar after fermentation. Then, it's down the drain immediately!

Luckily (with fingers and everything else crossed), this hasn't happened since I learned what "sanitisation" really meant and applied it rigorously! :thumb:

I once did a Saaz extract brew back when I was moving from kits to extract, I didnt take in to consideration that the recipe I was brewing from was for a full 25 litre boil and I had a 10 litre stock pot on the stove and as such I didnt adjust the hops for the 60 min boil accordingly and ended up with hardly any if no bitterness. I gave it time but time could not heal a bad recipe and it all went down the sink.

I have a wheat beer still sitting in a keg, it was quite sour at the start. Last time I checked it was improving so lets say the jury is out on this one atm :D

So, I bottled some too and I left one to chill all day and I just has it when I came in. In the bottle the sour notes are fading and you can just catch a taste of the orange peel I put in. Still, I think IPA or a good ALE is my go to.

I've had two batches of drain cleaner so far, the first was a wheat beer back in my biab days. A load of malt flour/wheat proteins got through the bag, stuck to the element during the boil and got burnt. The beer tasted like charcoal and ash so the lot went down the drain, didn't even consider bottling it.

The second was a small batch of belgian dubbel which I fermented with cultured yeast. It got a wild yeast infection which I thought might turn out ok with a bit of aging. It didn't, after two years it was even worse so I chucked it just last month.

First bottle of Gooseberry wine opened on Xmas day after four months, and second son said it had a bouquet of farmyards. Sadly I had to agree. :-(

I made some gooseberry wine some 30 years ago when i had a few bushes and it was certainly an acquired taste. I found after a few glasses I really didn't care anymore. It wasn't for the faint hearted

After a lay off from brewing I found a can of Woodfordes Wherry that was about 2 years out of date. So I brewed it as my first brew for years with it. Sadly it was not very nice. I drank 2 pints of it trying to convince myself it was drinkable. After that the other 38 pints went down the sink.

I try not to throw stuff away just 'cos it doesn't taste right today; 'cos it might come good in a few months. :thumb:

The only exception is if a brew smells or tastes like vinegar after fermentation. Then, it's down the drain immediately!
What's it like on fish and chips? Waste not, want not. :whistle:

I've chucked a few down the sink. One because it was bad beer (a kit that stuck, just tasted horrible) the others have been infected and have been gushers.

With the latter, no point in waiting because they won't come good - in fact, if you wait too long you'll have glass flying everywhere, because they will keep on producing CO2 and the pressure will eventually explode the bottles. Been there! Made a huge mess but lucky not to be injured by flying glass.

Back in March I brewed an Ultimate Octoberfest special. New to me at the time was the Brewers Friend priming calculator so I decided to give it a go. About 250g of ordinary sugar was indicated. Seemed rather high but I decided to go with it. After all, I do like a few bubbles rising up my glass.

The end result is an explosive concoction with more fizz than a shaken bottle of champagne. Numerous bottles are still sitting in my garage until I decide what to do with it. Haven't the heart to chuck it although that would be the sensible thing to do. Sad thing is that it doesn't taste bad. :hmm:

I've never owned a Fish & Chip shop so I've never needed 23 litres of vinegar! :lol: :lol:
Where there's muck there's brass. "Dutto's Delight". A Dragon's Den contender if ever I saw one. Look forward to seeing it on supermarket shelves, right next to Reggae Reggae Sauce...:clap:

Every batch of cider I've ever made, one kit and three supermarket juice turbo ciders. No idea how I manage to convince myself it's going to be different, homemade cider is just pants.

That struck a chord. You could strip paint with the cider I tried to make from our Bramley tree. Last year I planted a Black Dabinett but it'll be years before we see a crop. We get so many Bramley's we don't know what to do with them.

Every batch of cider I've ever made, one kit and three supermarket juice turbo ciders. No idea how I manage to convince myself it's going to be different, homemade cider is just pants.

I'm with you there, I've tasted a few home brewed ciders, my own and others, and I've yet to taste a good one. I'm sure it's possible but I'm yet to experience it.

Back