Any Members got Sky?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have then be afraid ... be very afraid!

The Australian billionaire who already owns The Sun and The Times is now trying to purchase the 69% of Sky that he doesn't already own.

Are you aware that if your Sky Box is plugged into a phone line or you have Sky Broadband then Sky are gathering data about your viewing preferences?

Add on all of the information that you had to give to Sky in order to get the Sky Box or the Sky Broadband and suddenly this outfit knows an awful lot about you!

Today, members of the House of Lords warned ...

"Should the records fall into the hands of an owner with an appetite
for political leverage, the temptations and opportunities for misuse
become very great indeed.”​

In May of this year, Murdoch was suspected of holding "secret talks" with Ofcom to wave the deal through.

In late June of this year the Culture Secretary said that she was "minded to" refer the takeover bid to the UK's competition authorities; but she has failed to do so.

If the take-over goes ahead, it isn't just the people who do business with Sky who should be afraid ...

... it's anyone who cherishes the democracy that we still have left in the UK.

I'v got Sly, until this friday that is then I switch to plusnet.
The past 12 months have seen the worst broadband i'v ever had, and its supposed to be fiber @ 38Mb

I gave up on Sky ages ago and bought a Humax Foxsat HDR which is brilliant we also have a you view box from a talk talk, we have problems with picture break up in the summer months on our you view box so this is great as it never suffers the same problem https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-1100s/

Every piece of technology I use collects data about my usage.

Agreed, but it doesn't then hand the data over to a megalomaniac foreigner who will use the information to further his own agenda! :nono: :nono:

The fear expressed by The Lords, in their open letter to the Guardian, was that the data collected would be mis-used ...

... and the companies owned by the man concerned have a history of such mis-use. :doh:

Please check out this article ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...olitical-misuse-media-plurality-a7843401.html

Sky could use that data to do dastardly things, like remind you when a new series of something you want to watch is on, or even record something you might have missed just in case. They could also use it to stream adverts for things you might be interested in such as barbeques and motorcycles rather than simply repeating ads with Parky trying to give you a free pen for paying into a fund that only pays out once you're dead and gone.

In reality, everything we do delivers data to someone. Sometimes it works in our favour. When I had Sky many moons ago, I came back from holiday to find the Sky box filled up with repeats of Heartbeat. How that happened is anyone's guess, but I didn't feel like I'd been violated.

I fail to see what use this data actually would have.:confused: I mean if they know 3m people (say) watch the Sunday 4pm football kick-off they can use that data to get more advertising revenue from advertisers for adverts shown at that time

Agreed, but it doesn't then hand the data over to a megalomaniac foreigner who will use the information to further his own agenda! :nono: :nono:

The fear expressed by The Lords, in their open letter to the Guardian, was that the data collected would be mis-used ...

... and the companies owned by the man concerned have a history of such mis-use. :doh:

Please check out this article ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...olitical-misuse-media-plurality-a7843401.html

But none of us know where the data other companies hold on us goes. Most of it is sold, swapped or hacked

They are already monitoring, recording and storing everything we do. People just dont seem to care.

How many millions of web users are they watching at any one time and how many are watching them?

It is the same as any other subscription service where you pay by direct debit or standing order or any other digital means. I see what you are saying but chances are someone already knows everything I do on internet, TV, kindle etc etc and just don't deem me worthy enough to ransom.

In view of all the "so what" remarks, may I point out that Mr. Murdoch is apparently happy to pay £11.7 BILLION to get control of Sky.

Is it 'cos he's hard up? Is it 'cos he needs influence in the UK?

Ask yourselves "Why would a multi-billionaire foreigner be so determined to get control of UK based Sky?" (This is the second time that he has tried to get control!)

Of course, maybe he's a philanthorpist who has no interest in furthering his own political ends and maybe he is one of the nicest men you could ever hope to meet ... :thumb:

... but if you believe Mr. Murdoch is a charming and loveable character from a Disney Cartoon I refer you to ANY of the fairy tales that your Mum taught you! :lol: :lol:

Dutto i think most of us have far more worries closer to home than if a guy with too much money wants to pay billions for something people are leaving in droves hence the "so what" comments.

In view of all the "so what" remarks, may I point out that Mr. Murdoch is apparently happy to pay £11.7 BILLION to get control of Sky.

Is it 'cos he's hard up? Is it 'cos he needs influence in the UK?

Ask yourselves "Why would a multi-billionaire foreigner be so determined to get control of UK based Sky?" (This is the second time that he has tried to get control!)

Of course, maybe he's a philanthorpist who has no interest in furthering his own political ends and maybe he is one of the nicest men you could ever hope to meet ... :thumb:

... but if you believe Mr. Murdoch is a charming and loveable character from a Disney Cartoon I refer you to ANY of the fairy tales that your Mum taught you! :lol: :lol:

I think it's because he is a sad,greedy b*****d who worships money and can never have enough until he dies.

And,as the saying goes, ye cannae take it wae ye 😂

Back