Chillies?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno I guess if you stop posting it will be because the wife has offed you. 😀

She's developing quite a tolerance for chilli heat. Gonna knock one up tonight using a substantial dose of Ghost peppers, with some additional Reaper in mine. Last one made me go completely blind in both eyes for a while - it was amazing! Gotta keep pushing the boundary, there ain't no use running on the spot.

Shocking harvest this year, maybe about five or six fruits all summer. Then about three or four weeks or so ago the plants must have realised that they'd missed their best window for reproduction and went mad, hundreds of fruits all came up at once. No way they'll ripen beyond green, but should still be plenty hot enough to use. All scorpions.

Chillies are fortunately cheap as chips in Birmingham markets and typically cost just a pound a bowl. There are usually lots of varieties to choose from and this is the time of year that I usually make my chilli sauce from chopped chillies, onion, bramley apple, lemon juice, sugar and crushed campden tablets..

I grow many different varieties, from very mild (Ancho, Beaver Dam) to the insanely hot (Dorset Naga, Moruga Scorpion, Carolina Reaper etc.). We started off with 80+ variesties, but have scaled down to about 30, just keeping the favourites. Trying a cross between a Moruga and a Reaper - should hopefully get some results next summer...

Simpsons seeds are a really good supplier - there ain't much Matt doesn't know about chillies.

My particular favourite at the moment is the Aji Pickled Frog. Lovely fruity flavour, followed by a decent amount of heat.
Going to have a Paper Lantern chopped up on top of my curry tonight!

I admire you guys who grow them successfully - my own efforts over the years have had mixed results. The hottest ones I grew were Scotch Bonnets which is pathetic really, seeing as the super-hots I grew didn't come close. I think a bit of research is in order. Meanwhile I'm getting all psyched up over tonight's curry. Been on nights all week so been eating junk and no beer. I'm gonna make the hottest curry known to modern civilisation along with lakes of beer to temper the fire. See ya on the other side.

Chillies are fortunately cheap as chips in Birmingham markets and typically cost just a pound a bowl. There are usually lots of varieties to choose from and this is the time of year that I usually make my chilli sauce from chopped chillies, onion, bramley apple, lemon juice, sugar and crushed campden tablets..

Sounds like a nice recipe Ken - care to share the actual recipe measures ?

I made some last month but it was just chillis , vinegar , a few spices, sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admire you guys who grow them successfully - my own efforts over the years have had mixed results. The hottest ones I grew were Scotch Bonnets which is pathetic really, seeing as the super-hots I grew didn't come close. I think a bit of research is in order. Meanwhile I'm getting all psyched up over tonight's curry. Been on nights all week so been eating junk and no beer. I'm gonna make the hottest curry known to modern civilisation along with lakes of beer to temper the fire. See ya on the other side.

Japanese flag springs to mind !

Japanese flag springs to mind !

When I tried Reapers for the first time, I was expecting dire consequences and for things to get very messy, very quickly in that dept. Wasn't too bad tbh and since then I've had no ill effects at all. I can't weigh it up!

I’ve just made some pizza and picked a jalapeño to chop and throw on.
Tears [emoji24] that was one spicy pizza !

Sounds like a nice recipe Ken - care to share the actual recipe measures ?

I made some last month but it was just chillis , vinegar , a few spices, sugar.

I don't really do a recipe but start of by finely chopping and sweating about 4 onions, peel and grate a couple of apples and add them and half a bottle of lime juice to the pan - the lime will stop the apple browning.
Next the chillies leave out the pith and seeds and use way more than you think you need. Then start adding sugar while maintaining a low heat and stick 3 or 4 campden tablets (to extend shelf life) and a pinch of rocksalt in the blender and blitz to a fine powder before adding that.
That's it except that I often add a gelling agent to help it partially set.
Great in chicken wraps or with fish but my parents have it with pork pie or mixed with mayo for sarnies.

The idea war a version of Thai sauce but fruitier and without the garlic - and it works.

I don't really do a recipe but start of by finely chopping and sweating about 4 onions, peel and grate a couple of apples and add them and half a bottle of lime juice to the pan - the lime will stop the apple browning.
Next the chillies leave out the pith and seeds and use way more than you think you need. Then start adding sugar while maintaining a low heat and stick 3 or 4 campden tablets (to extend shelf life) and a pinch of rocksalt in the blender and blitz to a fine powder before adding that.
That's it except that I often add a gelling agent to help it partially set.
Great in chicken wraps or with fish but my parents have it with pork pie or mixed with mayo for sarnies.

The idea war a version of Thai sauce but fruitier and without the garlic - and it works.

Cheers buddy - will give it a go.

I'm really into growing chillis and just started making my own sauces this year.

Can't remember where I got this recipe from, but this Mango and Chilli sauce is superb for mainating and grilling chicken, as a side, or just on some bread with some cheese.

• 2 large mangos
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 lime, juiced
• 6-10 red chillies, chopped & de-seeded
• 1.5 tbs white wine vinegar
• 2-3 teaspoons sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 70ml water

Chop all ingredients, put into a pan and simmer for 20mins, then pulp using a food processor. Use more chillis and/or keep the seeds in if you want it hotter, but this one is family-friendly.

Scotch bonnet chillies in a nice Jamaican brown chicken stew with rice and peas.... Om nom nom... lol

I've got a really lovely (if I do say so myself!) recipe for an apricot and chinense var. (I used Dorset Naga) sauce; I called it 'ApriHot' :lol: . Very simple, only a few ingredients, but really showcases the flavours of the fruit and the peppers. I'll dig it out shortly.

Anyone else enjoying a late harvest? December and this one's just coming into form. Lost most of its leaves now, but a week ago the fruits were still green and now it's looking like they'll ripen in time for christmas.

uc

Looking good. Same here, a couple of months ago I had perhaps 6 chillies across 2 plants. Now I have dozens, doubt they will grow and ripen now but quite a few are starting to change colour.

Back