Sloe Wine Query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee1901

Reaction score
Hi guys.

This is my first post so a quick hello :thumb: I've only just started making wine and have got 3 gallons of elderflower in DJs nearly ready for second racking and have a gallon of redcurrant wine on Day 3 of initial fermentation. Hopefully, so far, so good. But I also have several batches of Sloe Port in kilner jars from last year ... or maybe the year before (originally made Sloe Gin then added the Sloes to red wine and have left them to it).

What I wondered was ... could I strain the Sloes and use them to make Sloe wine or is that just using them once too often? I don't like to throw anything away if I can make use of it and the thought of those extremely alcoholic little darlings made me just wonder ... lol. I've read ideas about coating in chocolate, etc., but much more interested in the feasibility of the wine option.

Many thanks for any advice/thoughts you might have.

Dee x

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

I too hate wasting stuff.

SWMBO had a "frozen shoulder" a few years back and came home sporting a linen triangular bandage ...

... which I remembered when three bottles of Sloe Gin were empty. :thumb:

I rinsed the bandage in boiling water, spread it over the top of a big pyrex bowl, tipped all the sloes into the centre of the bandage, pulled up the three corners to make a "bag" and then started twisting it over the top of the bowl.

Result! :thumb:

I recovered enough juice and gin to half fill a bottle which I topped up with fresh gin and used in the normal manner mixed 50/50 with Dubonnet.

I don't recommend that you use yours to make wine, but as a base you already have the "sloes and wine" bits so if you squeeze out the juice from the sloes you should be able to add some gin and finish up with a very nice cocktail.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Great idea Dutto, and thanks for responding. I thought that might be the case as I've not been able to find anything online about it. Out of interest, and in an effort to expand my limited knowledge of wine making, why wouldn't you use them again for wine? I had in mind that I might end up with something similar to rocket fuel with all of the alcohol that they're already soaked in lol. x

Why would you use sloes that you've already extracted most of the flavour from? Seems bonkers to me. Some friends of ours are big into home winemaking and often give us a bottle of blackberry wine. Trouble is they make one batch of wine from the fruit then strain it off and make a second from the same fruit. It's absolutely undrinkable!

Flipping heck, Cwrw666 ... I only asked! As you can reuse the Sloes from Sloe Gin to make Sloe Port, I simply wondered if you could utilise all of the alcohol they've soaked up to make Sloe Wine. If beginners aren't allowed to ask questions on forums like this (albeit questions that you think are "bonkers"), where can we? :confused::roll: x

Great idea Dutto, and thanks for responding. I thought that might be the case as I've not been able to find anything online about it. Out of interest, and in an effort to expand my limited knowledge of wine making, why wouldn't you use them again for wine? I had in mind that I might end up with something similar to rocket fuel with all of the alcohol that they're already soaked in lol. x

Like wot Crwr66 said! :thumb:

Luckily, I don't have any friends that try and palm me off with **** wine ... :doh:

... but the wife of a mate uses a single tea-bag to make three cups of gnat's pee. :whistle:

Pmsl ... thanks Dutto. Shall I (with reluctance) put them on the compost heap (after squeezing the life out of them for a cocktail brew as you suggest?) I worry that the hedgehog and wildlife community may be attending more parties than me if I deposit them there. :drunk::cheers::party: x

Pmsl ... thanks Dutto. Shall I (with reluctance) put them on the compost heap (after squeezing the life out of them for a cocktail brew as you suggest?) I worry that the hedgehog and wildlife community may be attending more parties than me if I deposit them there. :drunk::cheers::party: x

Get them in the freezer and use instead of ice cubes for cocktails and the like:thumb:

I recovered enough juice and gin to half fill a bottle which I topped up with fresh gin and used in the normal manner mixed 50/50 with Dubonnet.
Could be you Dutto, given you've been to sea, go to France a lot, and drink Dubonnet it seems. :whistle:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSWwthbDmw[/ame]

By the time I'd finished wringing my sloes out there was very little of any alcohol left so the compost heap seems ideal. :thumb:

So says a man who has a composting toilet out in France. :whistle:

Back