Very very new.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lozmaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Probably not the first to say this, but someone bought me a kit for last Christmas! Didn't get me the equipment though. Now I have the time, just, I had to buy my own. So I did.
Thought the instructions were fairly straightforward although different from what the chap in the local home brew said. Now I find myself needing a bit of a steer.
Muntons Belgian. Instructions say I need two buckets; man in shop says just leave the stuff in the same bucket for 10 days then bottle it.
Brew has been in the bucket since Saturday and looks like there's some scum/foam on top although no bubbles in the airlock.
Question is, should I get another bucket?
Thanks, and hello again
Chris

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

The instructions tell you you need another bucket its your first brew if i were you i would follow them. :wink:

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

You have two distinct possibilities:

1. Pour the brew down the drain and tell the "someone" who bought you the kit that it was delicious but too much work for you to continue brewing as a hobby.

OR

2. Continue with the brew using minimum gear to brew what will be the first (but definitely not the best) of a long, long line of brews as you become increasingly obsessed with brewing.

For your future sanity I recommend 1. above but if you are determined to continue regardless (and knowing that you will thank me one day) I suggest that you:

o Keep the bucket you are using well covered.

o Don't lift the cover again until Saturday 29th July.

When the due date arrives, lift the edge of the lid and have a quick sniff at the contents.

If the smell doesn't make you recoil with disgust:

o Immediately put the lid back.

o Sanitise sufficient number of 500ml bottles to take the amount of the brew.

o Add a small teaspoon of sugar to each bottle.

o Syphon the brew from the bucket into the bottles.

o Cap the bottles and keep them in a warm (20-22 degrees) dark place until Saturday, 12th August.

o On 12th August, move the bottles to a cool dark place for another two weeks and it will be ready to drink ... :thumb:

... or not if you have screwed up! :doh:

Either way, by the time you find out what has happened to "Brew Number One" you should already be well into brewing your THIRD batch of beer.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Welcome.
This may be of help
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
I suggest you leave your brew in the FV for at least two weeks, certainly until it's starting to clear and/or when the SG has bottomed out. This allows the yeast to finish its job and reduces the yeast carry over into your bottles.
Then one to two weeks carbonation, then put the bottles in a cool place and leave for a miniumum of two weeks before sampling. Some beers are ready to drink young but most will benefit from at least six to eight weeks from bottling. And if you sample along the way you will find out how they change and when they are ready to drink to your liking.
Finally there doesn't appear to be a review of your kit in our kit review section so perhaps you could add one :thumb:

Back