Too much amarrillo for American pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have 200 g of Amarillo and thought may as well use it today. The recipe calls for Amarillo 5 but this is 8.7, so as I have a cascade recipe for cascade 8.5 I am going to use that same additions profile for the boil. That gets me to about 55 ibu in the brew.

This leaves me with about 80g left over. Can I throw them in at whirlpool and 85c for 30 mins. If so what untilisation would that be. 5%?

Cheers for any advice.

It's a Greg Hughes recipe. Maris otter, caramalt and amarrillo.

If you whirlpool Amarillo, I would do it at a lower temp as they are hops that contain a lot of myrcene (about 65-70% of its total oils) which has a boiling point of 63c. Myrcene gives a orangey citrus aroma and flavour.

Yup or do 40g whirlpool 40g dry hop

There is an interesting paragraph towards the end of THIS that supports this idea.

As they are leaf I was thinking no dry hop as I have had grassy experience previously. Should I try again? Maybe just a couple of days.

Wouldn't want to whirlpool less than 80c because of infection risk? Have I got that wrong?

As they are leaf I was thinking no dry hop as I have had grassy experience previously. Should I try again? Maybe just a couple of days.

Wouldn't want to whirlpool less than 80c because of infection risk? Have I got that wrong?

Shouldn't be a problem, as you have boiled the wort previously. 60c for 30 minutes is enough to pasteurise milk, so your beer will be fine, especially if you cover the kettle at flame out.

Ok, I thought the whole point of quick chilling was to get it through the infection danger zone from 70 down to 25 as quickly possible. I know with sous vide cooking you should ice bath after pasteurising temps and though it was along those lines.

The more I know the less I know!

With Sous Vide cooking you are reducing dangerous levels of pathogens in food to a safe level via pasteurisation. With Wort you have gone much further than that by sterilising the wort through boiling for an hour, prior to the hop stand, so your only worry is pathogens entering post boil. Those that do get in will find a acidic environment, held at pasteurisation temperature, pretty hostile. Add to that the big dose of antibacterial hops you add in the stand, you should not have an issue, providing you cool quickly from 60C to pitching temperature, afterwards. No chill brewers don't have an issue cooling overnight, so covering the kettle and not putting anything unsanitised into your wort for a 20-60 minute hop stand, shouldn't carry too much risk. Most yeasts will struggle to survive above 50C and hops alpha acids inhibit the growth Gram-Positive Bacteria (those that end in -occus or -bacillus).

Ok cheers, makes sense. I have it standing 70c for 30 mins at the moment. Will maybe try at sub 63 next time then with Amarillo. Will give that a go.

The chilling from 35 down to pitch temp is really slow with my IC, could I transfer to brew fridge at 30 or so and pitch when it's hits 18c?

Very interesting that they were doing hop stands up to 80mins - may have to start giving mine more than the usual 30mins

I read on Scott Jandish's site somewhere yesterday there is evidence that hop stands / whirlpooling over an hour with hot wort increases the likelihood of grassy flavors. Tried to find it again today but can't...

Really interested to see how this one comes out as I have drooled over the recipe in the Greg Hughes many times, it is on my list so looking for any feedback. Mainly, is the carapils necessary? If not it makes a simple smash.

Back