I messed up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Experimenting with a sparkling rose I’ve seriously messed up... safely !!

I intended to do the simple rose ... messed up on the sugar ... thought I’d rescue and turn into a low ABV sparkling wine ...

Bottled a week ago...

Tonight looked at the crate and 50% have bottle bombed !!!

First experience [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful!
Glasses and gloves should be your absolute minimum protection when opening or moving bottles.
I've had to dig glass out of timber before now and I dread to think what an exploding bottle could do to a person up close.

Cheers gang. They’ve been sitting in my very cold beer fridge which seems to have tamed them a little. Ken - I’m opening with a towel as protection. So far so good.
More care next time me thinks when experimenting !!

Be careful!
Glasses and gloves should be your absolute minimum protection when opening or moving bottles.
I've had to dig glass out of timber before now and I dread to think what an exploding bottle could do to a person up close.

The first ever cider I made litterally tore the shed door off it's hinges when they exploded and the glass shot straight through the wood. Put me off making cider for 40 years and only restarted last year using plastic pet type bottles only. Lesson being don't use glass if you can help it.

The first ever cider I made litterally tore the shed door off it's hinges when they exploded and the glass shot straight through the wood. Put me off making cider for 40 years and only restarted last year using plastic pet type bottles only. Lesson being don't use glass if you can help it.

As it happens mate I bottled up an IPA on Wednesday. Went out and bought a couple of boxes of PET.

That’s the way forward, if only for my nerves !

I ferment under airlock most of the time and am in no rush so I often let it completely ferment out over three weeks. Keep the carbonation sensible and things are pretty safe with glass bottles.
Rushed brewing is where the risks are.

Back