Orange peel - fresh or dried?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello all,
Been a while since I posted on here - hope you are well!

Anyway, I'm planning on brewing a spiced ale (malt extract) soon ready for the winter months. I wanted to add some orange peel to the brew and was wondering if better results are achieved using peel from a fresh orange or the dried/crushed stuff that Brupacks do in the bags.

Thanks in advance.
:)

Never used fresh, but have used curacao peel(the dried bitter orange peel) a few times along with coriander in wheat beers to good effect:thumb:

I too have only used the dry bitter peel.
I used 40g in 13L which was a bit too much, I will try 30g next time

Hello all,
Been a while since I posted on here - hope you are well!

Anyway, I'm planning on brewing a spiced ale (malt extract) soon ready for the winter months. I wanted to add some orange peel to the brew and was wondering if better results are achieved using peel from a fresh orange or the dried/crushed stuff that Brupacks do in the bags.

Thanks in advance.
:)
There are two types of dried orange peel, sweet and bitter. Sweet is usually Seville orange peel and bitter is Laraha Fruit (Caracoa orange). Bitter is actually green in colour. Personally, for sweet peel, I think fresh is best, as for Bitter Peel, have never seen Laraha Fruit to try it fresh, so dry may be the only option.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

If you're doing your own fresh, make sure to buy unwaxed oranges (or get potato scrubber out). I didn't do this and ended up with an odd, slightly unpleasant aftertaste

Back