Corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash

Reaction score
Right, got my corny and looking forward to filling it (was like a kid at Christmas when it arrived - sad really)! Anyhow, i've got a few questions.

I think i've figured most of it out (Vossey's guide was useful), just wondering what' the best way to get the beer bright prior to putting into the keg (planning to force carbonate)? I'm guessing either transfer to secondary and wait a couple of weeks, or transfer to secondary (is it necessary to transfer?), add finings, leave a couple of days then put in keg. Also, what pressure is best for force carbonating? Also, what is the process for force carbonating (not too fizzy as it will be an ale)?

Thanks

:wha:

I personally leave my beer in the primary FV for 10-12 days before kegging. I don't use finings and I don't secondary, I just feel that it's an extra risk that can be avoided. Having said that, many do use secondary and finings too, it's all personal preference. I find that my first pint or two may be cloudy but it clears up nicely after that provided you're not shaking the cornie up.

Force carbonating is a very subjective thing which entirely depends on your preference for carbonation. I would suggest leaving the keg at 12PSI for 3-4 days then disconnect and store until ready. Alternatively, if you're worried about the possibility of leaking C02 then simply turn on and off the gas each time you pass it for a few days. If when you come to try it you decide it's too flat then just up the pressure to say 20PSI for a few days and try again but I'm sure 12PSI will give you what you're looking for.

There are calculators and charts that will help you attain precisely what you want at a given temperature if you want to be more precise but I suspect that 12PSI would be a good starting point.

Parva said:
I personally leave my beer in the primary FV for 10-12 days before kegging. I don't use finings and I don't secondary, I just feel that it's an extra risk that can be avoided. Having said that, many do use secondary and finings too, it's all personal preference. I find that my first pint or two may be cloudy but it clears up nicely after that provided you're not shaking the cornie up.

Force carbonating is a very subjective thing which entirely depends on your preference for carbonation. I would suggest leaving the keg at 12PSI for 3-4 days then disconnect and store until ready. Alternatively, if you're worried about the possibility of leaking C02 then simply turn on and off the gas each time you pass it for a few days. If when you come to try it you decide it's too flat then just up the pressure to say 20PSI for a few days and try again but I'm sure 12PSI will give you what you're looking for.

There are calculators and charts that will help you attain precisely what you want at a given temperature if you want to be more precise but I suspect that 12PSI would be a good starting point.

I do exactly the same, except perhaps for the 20psi for a few days bit. I usually find that even if the cornie leaks gas, the beer retains its carbonation quite well, though it may need 5 or so psi applied to get it out of the beer font. To attain the same low carbonation that you find in a real ale seved from a hand pump is quite difficult to achieve ie. overcarbonating is much easier to do than undercarbonating.

I'm with Parva. That's exactly what I do, except that I do use finings (isinglass) when I rack off.

:hmm: Why does saying "rack off" make me feel like I'm in Neighbours?

jamesb said:
I'm with Parva. That's exactly what I do, except that I do use finings (isinglass) when I rack off.

Thanks. So do you rack to a secondary, add finings, wait until bright then put in keg, or rack to keg then add finings? What i'm trying to achieve is no sediment in the cornie so that i can move it around without having to worry abou leaving it to clear again due to the disturbed sediment.

ash said:
jamesb said:
Thanks. So do you rack to a secondary, add finings, wait until bright then put in keg, or rack to keg then add finings? What i'm trying to achieve is no sediment in the cornie so that i can move it around without having to worry abou leaving it to clear again due to the disturbed sediment.

In that case, you'll have to go to secondary before racking off to the cornie. Chill the keg down as much as possible in order to keep some of it's carbonation and to drop the yeast out of suspension. When (if) it's bright, rack off to the cornie and then force carbonate as usual. Or you could prime in secondary and wait until it's bright.

I do as jb with my beer ;)
Thanks. So do you rack to a secondary, add finings, wait until bright then put in keg, or rack to keg then add finings? What i'm trying to achieve is no sediment in the cornie so that i can move it around without having to worry abou leaving it to clear again due to the disturbed sediment
Alternatively, buy another corny :P and rack from one to the other when the beer has cleared :cool:

Vossy1 said:
Alternatively, buy another corny :P and rack from one to the other when the beer has cleared :cool:

Hi V1,
Funny you should mention this, but it was what I was planning to do (since my Cornies have been breeding and I now have 4!) :D

My only question is how you would transfer from one to the other without drawing the sediment straight back up the dip tube from the first? Would I have to modify the dip tube on one of them to put a small "U" bend on the end? Or just discard the first couple of pints before coupling the two liquid posts together and driving the beer from one to the other with CO2?

Cheers :thumb:
T.

tigertim said:
Vossy1 said:
Funny you should mention this, but it was what I was planning to do (since my Cornies have been breeding and I now have 4!) :D
My only question is how you would transfer from one to the other without drawing the sediment straight back up the dip tube from the first? Would I have to modify the dip tube on one of them to put a small "U" bend on the end? Or just discard the first couple of pints before coupling the two liquid posts together and driving the beer from one to the other with CO2?

Some people cut 1/2" off the dip tube. I don't. Just discard the first couple of pints, then couple the cornies together via the OUT tubes and transfer.

Latest posts

Back