Glass Demijohn Wide Neck and Cork lid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffBeer1892

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a Glass Demijohn Wide Neck (120mm) for the fermentation process.

It did not come with anything to cover the top / mouth / opening. Anyway, they recommended a cork for the lid. They said the new / modern corks should be find. The have a silicon base, so they should be safe for home brewing and last.

Well, I decided to clean it before putting it into use. I used some brew clean solvent and rinsed it off with hot water. When I let it drip dry, I noticed some yellow-ish, orange-ish stuff starting dripping out..?!

Questions and concerns from my perspective:

a.) What do you think, Is this normal with the yellow / orange-ish stuff dripping out?

b.) Is cork safe to use at all?

c.) How long can I expect the cork to last before I need to replace it?

d.) What is the recommended method for clean cork?

e.) What replacement for cork would you recommend?

Cheers,
-Geoff

If you're just doing primary fermentation, you don't need an airtight seal - quite the opposite in fact! Cork'd probably be alright, o r even clingfilm. No idea what the stuff dripping out is, is the lid brand new? You might like to clean it again from scratch and see if any more is produced - it might just be a leftover from manufacture / the previous usage of the lid.

Ok, thanks for that.

The lid is new, so I guess I just wash it again. Question, should I let it drip dry, or place it in the oven and dry it at say 75 degrees C just to make sure it drys properly?

About how long do you think I can keep this cork before I would need to replace it? Should it be after, say, 20 uses, or time; e.g. 1 year?

And yes, I'm using it for primary fermentation, so it sounds like I should be ok.

Cheers,
-Geoff

Hi Geoff and welcome to the forum :thumb:
Well, I decided to clean it before putting it into use. I used some brew clean solvent and rinsed it off with hot water. When I let it drip dry, I noticed some yellow-ish, orange-ish stuff starting dripping out..?!
To this point, based on the info you've supplied, I assume you're cleaning a glass demijohn ?
If this is the case there should be no colour dripping out of the demi.
a.) What do you think, Is this normal with the yellow / orange-ish stuff dripping out?
If talking in respect of the rubber bung you should not be using a solvent based cleaner with it as it will leach chemicals out of the rubber, namely dyes.
b.) Is cork safe to use at all?
Yes and no. Synthetic materials are easier to sanitise as they are made of a much denser material, so surface sanitation is usually enough. Cork is a very porous material and as such it is far harder to sanitise properly.
c.) How long can I expect the cork to last before I need to replace it?
d.) What is the recommended method for clean cork?
Pass :oops:
e.) What replacement for cork would you recommend?
There are rubber bungs available which you may care to consider :thumb:

Latest posts

Back