Maybe the most stupid question from a newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthurbear

Reaction score
Ok, Sat here reading different topic and got thinking.I have a standard 5Gal pressure barrel,Just got my stout in there looking and smelling great,Now here comes the stupid part.I have a guinness extra cold bar pump,is there anyway to connect my barrel to that pump?Would it need to be gravity feed or will pressure in my barrel push it through?Just to make it feel like a pub pulling my own pints.Remember i'm a newbie so if this is possible can you explain in dumb terms, or feel free just to call me dumb :D :wha:

Weclome to the forum!

It is possible to force the beer from a standard plastic keg to a bar tap, you just need to make sure that you connect hoses up nice and snug from your keg tap (use jubilee clips) and that you do the same with any reducers that you have to use if you need to change the diameter of the hose required to connect to the beer tap.

Thanks Wez, You are a fountain of knowledge,Just one quick thing,Will the barrel still need to be higher than the tap ( gravity feed ) or can the barrel sit just below on a shelf using its own pressure?also will this last for most of the keg or will the pressure inside drop say half way down the keg,Sorry for all the questions. :oops:

Because you are pressure feeding it can sit lower that the serving tap :cool: you will probably have to top up with c02, for a while I used to have a King Keg in a modified keg fridge at 13c connected to a beer hand pull (beer-engine) I had no room above the keg to top up with a c02 cylinder so bought a Widget World gas system, that worked really well.

Thanks again wez,Been looking at my setup and i have the facility to have the keg high up so a gravity feed would be possible,do you think using gravity feed would take away the need for extra co2??Thanks

No, the reason for that is in order for gravity to work you will need to open the lid to allow air to replace the beer that is being drawn off, you don't want to do that. Air & Beer = BAD.

Was looking into traditional bar hand pull pumps,Guessing these would be OK atached to my barrel of lager/stout/bitter etc.Thanks

Latest posts

Back