Beer Kegs Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all i am getting into home brewing again after a year or so off....i want to do lager like i used too but hating bottling and never really got to grips with using barrels as my pints always came out flat even with gas!

I have noticed this in my local home brew shop

http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/ca ... MIN2158542

Anyone tried these? are they any good?

Thanks

Chris

Looks a bit expensive for what it is, have you considered going the cornie route? In our links section you'll find norm who is a nice chap, if you mention the forum i'm sure he'll look after you ;)

If you are still undecided and want a temporary solution that has elements of both methods why not use 2L pop bottles? I successfully used them for over a year before going on to kegging. The advantage is that they hold a good pressure, are cheap and you only need to fill ten or twelve for a regular brew. Compared to the hassle of filling 40 pint bottles or whatever they are almost trivial to bottle, I sometimes used to bottle three brews in one morning before going to work in the afternoon.

And you get a good three pint session out of one bottle (or six pints out of two) :drink: Also when you go to kegs you can chuck them in the recycling bin with a clear conscience.

thats a cracking idea!! are you on about glass pop bottles or plastic ones?? and how much sugar would i need to put in them??

He's talking about plastic PET bottles, while this is a nice idea remember that when you pour a pint and put the bottle back down you'll disturb the yeast. Unless you pour all 3+ pints at once ;)

Back