Do I really need a boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mord

Reaction score
Hi All

I have just finished my first every brew using the kit my 18 month old son bought me for Fathers Day (top son!) Anyway, I am keen to get on to my first Extract brew, but am not sure if I need a buy a boiler or not. Having been into my local brew shop, the fairly helpful person told me you don’t have to have a boiler, though it is better if you do. The other option is a stock pot, but they cost almost as much as a boiler!

I do have a 6 litre pan which I could start using and then add water etc when it all goes into my fermentation tank. Will this be OK for the first brew or should I really get a boiler.

Thanks
Mord.
:thumb:

If you intend brewing 5 gallon batches . . . . get a boiler at least 33L . . . you you can make one for very little.

While you can make a concentrated wort and dilute it, it is not the best way to make quality wort . . . . and cleaning caramelised wort off a cooker is not going to endear yourself with She.

Incidentally I have made one extract batch of 23L using a pair of 8pint stock pots . . . its not a nice way to do it . . . and the beer was well below par

Aleman said:
If you intend brewing 5 gallon batches . . . . get a boiler at least 33L . . . you can make one for very little.

Thanks for that. Do you know or could you point me to some sites on how to make a boiler. I have had a search but to no avail.

Thanks
M

Well, the boiler is now bought! After looking at how to make one, and even though it did appear very easy, I wanted to make the brewing process as easy as possible, so I spent £65 on a ready made one!

Malt extract has also been bought, along with hops etc. I'm going to brew some Timothy Taylor Landlord as a first brew. I'll keep you up to date on how it goes.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Mord.
:cheers:

Well, the boiler is now bought! After looking at how to make one, and even though it did appear very easy, I wanted to make the brewing process as easy as possible, so I spent £65 on a ready made one!
:party: ...always easier getting someone else to make it :cool:

mord said:

Mord.
:cheers:

Which boiler did you end up going for?

I went for the BruPack boiler, and I am going to have a go making some Timothy Taylor Landlord. I have a couple of Graham Wheeler books and one of them has over 100 recipes, so I am going for that one first. Quite keen to make some stronger beer too, as I do like the strong dark ales, but not for drinking every night.
I have a 5 gallon barrel at the moment, but I think II will get a couple of smaller ones so I can make 2 or 3 different brews and have an weekday beer, and a weekend special!
Just got a few pints of this one to go, then watch out, even the Dark Side might beckon soon!

M.

Latest posts

Back