Grubby Cornie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Of my four cornie kegs, one appears to be considerably less smart internally than the other three. The other three are just steely grey on the inside as you would expect, but this one seems to have some signs of its previous content (cherryade syrup!?) and, what looks like a degree of surface rust - see the pics below...

TRG_4785.jpg

TRG_4788.jpg

TRG_4791.jpg

TRG_4798.jpg

My question is, am I okay to use abrasives to try and remove this (i.e. Cif cream) or do I just have to sterilise thoroughly and hope there are no evil nasties hiding in any of the imperfections?

Thanks,
Tim.

Scratch that, I found the answer after a little more searching!

I saw people mentioning "Oxi-Clean" as a good cleaner. I didn't have any Oxi-Clean, however I do have a big tub of "Vanish Oxy-Action" which I've previously used in the laundry, which seems to have the same active ingredients as Oxi-Clean.

Used it with some hot water, left it to soak for half an hour and then agitated the internal surface of the keg with a soft washing-up brush.

Amazing! It got it as good as new! All that brown cack which looked like rust was evidently just staining from pepsi syrup or somesuch :thumb:

RESULT :clap:

I missed the post, Soda Crystals are good too :thumb:

Wez said:
RESULT :clap:

I missed the post, Soda Crystals are good too :thumb:

I agree sodacrystals are good but they have a habbit of leaving residue behind even with loads of rinsing, Oxy clean is pretty much the dogs danglies for cleaning cornies, 2 scoops fill with hot water leave half an hour empty rinse a few times pour 2 kettles of boiling water into cornie fit lid leave 20 min empty spray with a no rince sanitiser refill with beer jobs a good un.

:shock: never had that with Soda Crystals :shock:

Use Videne soln after which goes clear if there is residue left, 9 times out of ten it keeps its colour, if it doesnt i rinse and repeat :thumb:

I think it's a go with what you know situtaion :cheers:

2 scoops fill with hot water leave half an hour empty rinse a few times pour 2 kettles of boiling water into cornie fit lid leave 20 min empty spray with a no rince sanitiser refill with beer jobs a good un.
Not really environmentally sound though to use almost 19ltr of water and then throw it away.
I use 1 scoop and 1 ltr of boiling water. A sponge gripped in the jaws of a long reach pair of barbacue tounges and a bit of elbow grease does the rest. I also re-use the soln for the next corny should I be filling more than one. Even oxyclean will leave a residue at these concentrations, but a rinse with cold water gets rid of that. Then a sanitation as per Wez and jobs a good'un
Horses for courses though I guess :thumb:

I'm fortunate in that the divorce diet of a couple of years ago meant I lost a lot of weight and can actually get my arm the whole way in to the bottom of a cornie keg. :) It's a pretty tight fit though and I'm dreading the day that I finally get stuck and will have to make that decision, lose my arm or the keg. That's going to be a tough choice to make!

Back