Youngs Country Definitive Elderflower Wine review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesw

Reaction score
Bought this kit on sale at Tesco for like 7 quid, so not too bad price (less than £1.50 a bottle).

Made 5 and a half bottles. took quite long to clear, had to put outside in shed at about 2-5 celcius for like 10 days before it would clear (maybe provided finings arent very good).

brewed with the label required mass of granulated sugar, took maybe 14 days.

Outcome:
Nice white wine, tiny bit thin, but NO ELDERFOWER FLAVOUR! how they can call it elderflower wine ill never know!
worked out about 10-11%

Disappointed with this, was thinking maybe there would be a nose at least, but nothing. I guess I didnt top up to exactly right amount in the demijohn, filled up maybe 1 inch from where it starts to curve, so maybe brewed slightly short, which I would recommend, as any more diluted and it wouldnt be great.

At the end of the day it was a cheap bottle of white wine, better than supermarket wines up to about £4. no harshness so fairly pleasant. (didnt see any elderflower ingredients in the can ingredients, so I did wonder...

(reviewed a week after bottling, may well improve, will keep and update review, but I doubt the elderflower flavour will suddenly appear). Would strongly recommend adding elderflowers if available if you actually want an elderflower wine!!!

Latest posts

Back