Forgot to add the dextrose pack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggie3CL

Reaction score
Brewing up a Festival Steam Beer kit at the moment - 4 days in and I realised I forgot to add the dextrose pack. You're supposed to add the hops after 5 days, would it be sensible to leave it a few days to settle down again before doing this?

My suggestion is add half the dextrose now, and the other half tomorrow. Then leave it until its nearly finished (SG readings and all that ) before you add your hops. I never add hops until its properly finished irrespective of any instructions.

OK, will do. Thanks for the advice. Fortunately fermentation hadn't finished so there are presumably plenty of active yeast in there.

Hi!
Even when fermentation is finished, there's still plenty of yeast cells in the wort but there isn't any food. Add more fermentables and they'll soon get munching again.

I'm doing one of these at the moment too :)

Did you measure your OG, if so what was it? The dextrose will just give it a bit more strength, there wasn't a lot of it compared to the volume of liquid malt so it won't matter too much if you leave it out. I brewed mine a little short - OG was 1050.

Mixing it in may be hard at this stage. I'd be tempted to mix it into a little boiled water, let it cool to around 20C then chuck that in.

Didn't do the OG I'm afraid, only ever check the FG to make sure it's finished before bottling. Lazy git that I am. I did make up a solution of the sugar and gave the whole thing a gentle stir, and it's bubbling away merrily right now. :mrgreen: I'll give it some more time before I add the hops.

Ah OK, I do the opposite - always take the OG but rarely the FG :whistle:

Mine's been going 5 days but the airlock is still bubbling away rapidly so think I'll leave it another 2-3 days before adding the dry hops, as I don't want them in there longer than 7 days and it feels as if this kit will be a long ferment.

Mine's been slower, but steady - a bubble once every 5 seconds or so. Hope it turns out something like Anchor Steam, which on tap in California I found very palatable.:)

Back