Gas bills

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may sound like a stick in the mud, but I find these phone-apps that enable people to adjust their central heating remotely a massive gimmick. I just don't get it.

As for smart meters, the only benefit that I can perceive for the average householder is a marginal reduction in wastage going forward. Having said that, I suspect that would, in my house, by down to me being beady about justifying the installation, and the rest of the family would carry on regardless. Teenagers aren't going to give two hoots.

Smart meters are good for a day or so, they allow you to see how much your brewday costs However would that stop you brewing. Same with boiling a kettle or putting food in the oven are you seriously going to say Hmm that will cost 50p better not do it.

ALL of the electric and gas appliances in our house are essential and to suggest that simply knowing what it costs will make a difference to use is nonsense. Once I had played with it for a day or two I did what most people do, unplugged the display and put it in a drawer. Still get the benefit of some direct readings but the man still comes around now and again so not really much good at all

Its a little bit like starting your car cold, the first few miles guzzle the fuel. After half hour your boiler has probably just done the first few miles and the efficiency will go up, in well insulated properties it does pay to run your heating and maintain a warm climate rather than bringing a cold climate to warm.
Insulation is the key for you, make sure you have plenty of it in your loft and under floors, find any drafts ans seal them up, a bead of silicone across the top and bottom of your skirting boards, little things make a LOT of difference and can save you a ton of cash.
Just because your house is old doesnt mean to say its inefficient, some TLC and you'l find that your bills go down and you'll be a lot warmer.

I'm finding myself in the unfortunate position of having to challenge my basic human values today.

I've noticed that my bitter has stalled at 1.020 for a few days. Yesterday I came home to find the back door to the kitchen wide open (my phone told me it was about 10 degrees outside). The missus, as soon as Spring shows its face, likes to fling the doors and windows open to let fresh air in.

I have a suspicion that day long influx of sub-10 degree breeze has chilled the wort to the point that the yeast has nodded off.

As a countermeasure, because when I'm at work she'll do whatever she bloomin' well wants, I've wrapped the FVs in towels.

And, in respect of this thread, when she isn't looking, I've been cranking the heating on a bit........ :whistle:

I make myself sick.

I'm on my second wife. This one sees my obsession and stays out of the way.

I'm on my second wife. This one sees my obsession and stays out of the way.

I issue this advice after observing the situation from the vast heights of many failed relationships!

Get SWMBO more involved before she "stays out of the way" by spending her time with someone who doesn't talk in a foreign language about skin afflictions like warts and doesn't listen to an air-lock going "glub-glub" as if it was the latest hit record! :thumb:

Personally, as a young man I had the suicidal ambition to marry a nymphomaniac who owned a brewery: nowadays I would just settle for the brewery! :whistle:

I issue this advice after observing the situation from the vast heights of many failed relationships!

Get SWMBO more involved before she "stays out of the way" by spending her time with someone who doesn't talk in a foreign language about skin afflictions like warts and doesn't listen to an air-lock going "glub-glub" as if it was the latest hit record! :thumb:

Personally, as a young man I had the suicidal ambition to marry a nymphomaniac who owned a brewery: nowadays I would just settle for the brewery! :whistle:

True. My first gave little care, which reflects the amount of respect, of what I do.
My new wife is on this adventure with me. She loves hiking, camping and drinking. We love having house parties (Japanese NEVER hold them) all the time. All her friends and mine love what I brew and look forward to it. So my wife loves to tell her friends that I've got a new one brewing away. Which means a party is coming.
You have to support each other in all you do. But when I brew, what I mean is she knows to stay out of the kitchen and wait till I'm done.

A few years ago I had a self proclaimed nymphomaniac who liked beer at work trying to get me to leave my wife for her. I bet she would have brewed with me. I stayed with my wife, who doesnt drink by the way.

A few years ago I had a self proclaimed nymphomaniac who liked beer at work trying to get me to leave my wife for her. I bet she would have brewed with me. I stayed with my wife, who doesnt drink by the way.

So what do you want now? Sympathy or praise? :whistle: :whistle:

For the younger men on the Forum I would like to point out that what really makes a man's stomach go cold is not when his new squeeze complains about his performance in bed, it's when she says ...

"That was absolutely fabulous.
I've never felt like that with any other man, ever.
I want to do it again right now!"
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:​

So what do you want now? Sympathy or praise? :whistle: :whistle:

For the younger men on the Forum I would like to point out that what really makes a man's stomach go cold is not when his new squeeze complains about his performance in bed, it's when she says ...

"That was absolutely fabulous.
I've never felt like that with any other man, ever.
I want to do it again right now!"
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:​

Just how old are you? Im 45 and thats not a problem for me.

Just how old are you? Im 45 and thats not a problem for me.

Ah, another one who suffers from premature miscalculation ... :lol:

... and fails to realise that coming first doesn't always mean you've won! :whistle:

At 74 I have to say that I'm not as good as I once was ... :doh:

... but I'm as good once as I ever was! :thumb: :thumb:

Back