Help!! What is spraymalt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk
Reaction score
Thanks for this very helpful (and kind) forum I feel my knowledge is improving. Can you help explain thing that confuses me....

I understand all grain/all mash (same thing right?) and partial brewing (I think I'm a partial brewer) and kit brewing.

I use kits but add crystal malt extract for extra body.

Spraymalt?

Can anyone explain its function? Is it something you use in kit brewing to add extra body. Is this something that you use instead of crystal malt extract - for people that want to avoid the cookery part?

I've avoided adding it as well as the crystal malt extract as I didnt want too many competing elements that might overly complicate the flavour.

Is this correct or am I missing out. If anyone could explain I'd be really appreciative!!

Thanks, Kakistos.
:thumb:

Spray malt is a malt extract in dry form rather than liquid.

The water is extracted through a spraying and drying process, hence the name.

You would add it to a kit or extract brew instead of adding sugar to improve body and also it may add some malt character depending on how light/dark it is.

OK, the yeast feeds off sugar turning it to alcohol. In beer, this sugar comes from the starches in grains. There are two ways to turn starch into sugars 1) by mashing malted base grains, or 2) by roasting malted grains (e.g. to produce crystal malt). The vast majority of sugars come from (1). After mashing, the sugary water (wort) is separated from the grain and boiled. In all-grain brewing, we use this wort as soon as it is produced. However, it can also be concentrated, either to a very thick sticky liquid (liquid malt extract, LME), or all the way to a powder (dry malt extract, DME, also known as spraymalt). The types of brewing can be classified by the wort that is used:

All-grain: Uses freshly produced wort.
Partial mash: There is a mixture of freshly produced wort, and malt extract (DME or LME).
Extract brewing: Malt extracts are used.
Kit brewing: DME or LME is used, and usually the LME is pre-hopped, so fresh hops don't need to be added.

All four of the methods can be used in conjunction with steeping. This is when speciality grains, like chocolate, black or crystal, are steeped in water, drained off, and the liquid is used in the brew. The first three methods involve having to boil the wort yourself and adding your own hops. Kit brewing doesn't need a boil, though kits can be altered by adding dry hops during fermentation or making a hop tea.

Hope this makes sense.

Light Spraymalt is great to have in the cupboard for making yeast starters - 50g added to 600ml of water, boiled for 15 mins then cooled - gives you circa 500ml of wort at 1035-1040 for adding harvested yeast from a previous brew to build a healthy yeast starter for pitch into a new brew. Usually done 24-48 hours before a brewday.

Latest posts

Back