Keeping FV temp constant ... water bath problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovelldr

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi.

I got myself an aquarium heater, and have a storage container (plastic thing from wilko's) that I've filled with water. Got a water heater (100w version of this one). Put the suction cups in to the container, and angled it (as should be at an angle, not horizontal or vertical). Went off, came back a little later to find it floating in the container. Stuck it down again, and same later.

So, this morning, I had an idea to put some tape on the container, in case it wasn't adhering to the container, and also some gaffer tape around to the suction pads, hoping this might work under water. Came back, and it had started coming off, as I kind of suspected...

So, any ideas of what best to try next to get it to stick to container?

Bath is set in the garage, where the temperature is currently 4'C, and since swmbo won't let me brew in the house, I have to do it there... When I got back, the water was up to 17.6, so hopefully it would've got up to full temp if didn't come off... But, I just need to ensure the heater stays on the container :(

Any ideas on a postcard please?

David

Sounds like the suction cups are a bit stiff, so you're not gettign all the air out from under. They may break in if stuck in some warm-to-hot water for a while.
OTOH, if the thing will always be in this one position, and you don't need to detach the cups it get it in and out for cleaning, glue them to the container.
I'm not a glue expert but I bet a zillion websites can recommend a glue for underwater use (though in theory if the cups are working right, no water would ever reach the glue...)

it could be that the plastic of your container is not quite smooth enough for the suckers to get a decent grip...they are intended to stick on glass.

Could you find a bit of offcut glass or maybe a spare ceramic tile that could sit in your bath and the heater stick to this.....might not work but worth a try?

Immersion heater save loads of space and messing, brilliant investment

Thanks all for the posts...

Didn't want to permanently glue the heat in to the bath, in case get orders to dismantle whole brewing (not got around to making one yet ... hopefully tomorrow morning!). But will have a try with a tile/offcut glass, and see if that holds better standing...

When checked earlier, it was still sticking after pushing the gaffer tape back down. So hopefully stay down till the morning and get a tile out to try...

Thanks for help again guys...

And another Dave from Leics. Just different end of the 1970's to me :p hehe

Pipey said:
Immersion heater save loads of space and messing, brilliant investment

Cheers, but I know that if I tried doing that to the fv, it wouldn't be water tight for long :p

Plus, hoping to use the water bath for secondary fermentation of bottles, as no space in home for 40 bottles in the warmth at a time (plus, missus would moan like mad :p)

Cheers, but I know that if I tried doing that to the fv, it wouldn't be water tight for long :p

Electrim 75 immersion heaters are water tight (I think thats what you were talking about), been using mine for almost a years now made about 20 beers with it and I leave the heater in the FV for 2 - 3 weeks, switches on and off depending what the temperature of the beer is. At about 20 -27 quid it's a steal.

EDIT: Give it a good 10 minute soak before and after use and scrub and crud that gets on it and it's good every time.

BrewSage1985 said:

Electrim 75 immersion heaters are water tight (I think thats what you were talking about), been using mine for almost a years now made about 20 beers with it and I leave the heater in the FV for 2 - 3 weeks, switches on and off depending what the temperature of the beer is. At about 20 -27 quid it's a steal.

EDIT: Give it a good 10 minute soak before and after use and scrub and crud that gets on it and it's good every time.

Sorry, thought you were on about modding the FV with something like this. What you have is basically the same as my aqua heater. Just I didn't want to submerge directly in to the brew, as others have said it could burn the wort...

Will see how it goes tomorrow, an report back :)

I've never experienced any wort burning or hot spots as I always hit my FG with my Extract and AG brews and have never had any strange tastes in my beer. I like to wrap insulating material around the FV keeping the heat in and the cool air out so the heater won't turn itself on every 5 minutes.

Up to you though, whichever heating method works best for you :thumb:, hope it goes well.

Well, after sticking it back down last night, hadn't come back up so far. So will leave as is for this brew and touch wood :) Staying at around 20'c. Should I turn down a little to around 19, or leave as is?

Latest posts

Back