parry 27lt tea urn wont boil!!! hepl!!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeddon

Reaction score
Got a brew on yesterday, liked the reviews of big kenny so gave it a shot. didnt have and roasted barley only flaked but its not rocket science so lets see how it turns out, i'm sure it will be loverly

anyway, I was getting the wort up to boiling and added my bittering hops. but it didnt seem to be getting up to the boil properly. Normally its volcanic but it was only getting to a simmer then cutting out. It make a noise similar to the thormostat reaching temp but slightly different. not the click on the temp dial when reaching temp, but more of a clunk and it seems to be coming from underneath!!

I'm no sparky and am at a loss, any ideas?

Sounds like a thermal cut out.

I'm not familiar with that particular urn, but there's usually a mechanical switch underneath it (not necessarily accessable from the side) that you need to press to reset it.

It may also pay to clean the element properly which is probably causing the cut out in the first place.

didnt have and roasted barley only flaked but its not rocket science so lets see how it turns out, i'm sure it will be loverly
Roast and flaked barley have very different properties regards what they contribute to the finished beer. Flaked has next to no discernable taste or colour contribution, whereas roast does. I'm sure the beer will be a good'un, let us know how it turns out :thumb:

jamesb said:
Sounds like a thermal cut out.

I'm not familiar with that particular urn, but there's usually a mechanical switch underneath it (not necessarily accessable from the side) that you need to press to reset it.

It may also pay to clean the element properly which is probably causing the cut out in the first place.

there wasnt a reset switch, but the connections were rusted so cleaned them up with the ever handy dremel. After descaling the element, which is a flat element rather than an exposed one, it was pitted and still a bit crusty so sanded it off. Did a test boil and it seemed to be functioning fine, roiling volcanic boil, no cut outs.

As I only managed a simmer during the boil, what effect will that have on the beer?

Vossy1 said:
Roast and flaked barley have very different properties regards what they contribute to the finished beer. Flaked has next to no discernable taste or colour contribution, whereas roast does. I'm sure the beer will be a good'un, let us know how it turns out :thumb:
[

What will the flaked barley contribute if no taste or colour? is it only sugar content?

The action of the rolling boil is meant to help drive off some substances deleterious to the final product. You probably did enough from the sounds of it.

Flaked barley is used for head retention and body.

Had a sneaky pint of the brew yesterday, very nice, although a tad 'oaty' if you know what i mean. had a mean head on it though. I'm gona get some roasted barley, bet it would add more depth to the beer. but very nice and can see it improving with age. a pleasant mistake

Latest posts

Back