barrels to beer pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthurbear

Reaction score
Hi To all

I have just got myself a lovely set of beer pumps,brass setup with 4 pumps into one.I would like to connect for newyears party,(so have a bit of time) 3 of the taps to three barrels,1 lager,1 stout,1 bitter.I have been told by wez on these forums i can conect a barrel to my beer tap and natural pressue in the beer will allow it to dispense out of my tap,as a quick test i connected up my barrel of stout and nothing came out the tap ( guessing theres no enough pressure in the barrel.

I would love a corny setup but price affects that at the mo.

so i have been looking at getting new tops for my barrel with the pressure valve and those little co2 bulbs.

Long story short,how reliable are these co2 bulbs and do they work with say half to a quater keg left.

Thanks

What kind of taps were they ?
Like THIS
or like THIS :?:

Because if they are the first type, I believe that Wez's advice was for the second type I think ;)

If they are the first type you will need a good gas supply to force the beer out of those pumps, I would look at getting yourself an S30 gas cylinder at the minimum, rather than relying on the little bulbs :thumb:

you hit the nail on the head with the first set,They are those ones :D

Is it possible to modify my wilkos £17.99 barrel to work with said S30,and weres the best place tobuy.Thanks again

Yes S30 valve fits into barrel cap :thumb:
An S30 canister will cost around £20 initially and the about £4 for refills :)

Thats great,i will look into it.Just a quick question though.With the S30 Canister does that need to connected to the top of the barrel and it uses whats required or do you only connect it when the barrel needs extra co2?Also is it the same as a soda stram canister.Thanks :cheers:

The s30 screws onto the valve on the lid, you take it off when not needed and connect it when you need some pressure.

The s30 canisters are similar to the soda stream bottles but you would need a adapter to connect a soda stream bottle to a s30 valve!!!

arthurbear said:
With the S30 Canister does that need to connected to the top of the barrel and it uses whats required or do you only connect it when the barrel needs extra co2?

You'd need to connect it only when the barrel requires more pressure. In order to have the kind of setup where you can "set and forget", so that gas will maintain the pressure as you draw the beer off, you'd need a regulator attached between the cylinder and the barrel (which I don't believe is possible with an S30 style cylinder).

I started with the tiny CO2 bulbs and then went straight to cornies with an offboard CO2 cylinder and regulator - I figured it was only a matter of time, so I may as well move straight up. And it wasn't all that expensive either, because I visited Norm! :thumb:

Back