USING PLASTIC 2L BOTTLES...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LENNON

Reaction score
Alright, hello! i've got a quick question, i dont know if anyone will have a for sure answer, but i thought i'd try!

For my 2nd batch of beer, i was thinking about using a few 2L pop bottles, but i don't really want them clear. So i was just wondering, is it possible to spray paint them? maybe some other type of paint? or would the paint just seep through the plastic? i'll use mostly re used beer bottles, but i was thinking about trying this for a change! any help would be appreciated! cheers, Lennon.

I would have thought the chemicals in the paint would seep through into the contents and would it be flexible enough to cope with the bottles if your using pop bottles could you not use different coloured pop bottles or reuse beer/cider plastic bottles.

Thats the daftest suggestion i have ever heard...common sense certainly dont prevail here, no, of course you cant spray paint in a bottle and then fill it with ale!!.....use the ones that ni9e has mentioned, or just buy a barrel!! :x :nono:

hah, i wasnt planning on spraying inside the bottles.. but alright! i wont even ponder this idea! just thought i would ask, i'll use bottles, and start buying the 1L bottles of beer from a brewpub near my place. Cheers fellas, i'm already in love with homebrewing!

LENNON said:
hah, i wasnt planning on spraying inside the bottles.. but alright! i wont even ponder this idea! just thought i would ask, i'll use bottles, and start buying the 1L bottles of beer from a brewpub near my place. Cheers fellas, i'm already in love with homebrewing!
The point being made was that plastic PET bottles are gas permeable, they will therefore allow air (and anything 'sprayed' on their surface) to leech into the brew over time. People have reported no problems using clear PET bottles for beer that's 6 months old provided that it's kept out of the light. Save your spray paint, put them in a corner and chuck a blanket over them. :)

I have used the cheap 2L water bottles form asda. they are well useable. You can see your ale, just store it in a dark place. On the downside you have to pour the lot in one go, cause if you try to pour a pint off the top will upset the sediment. I bought a 3L pourer thing from Tesco for 3 quid it has a sealable lid so I decant a 2 L bottle into that . pour off a pint and seal it up for 10 minutes til I need pint number 2.

Better still get down your boozers scrounge their magners and bulmers brown bottles and use them as the perfect pint bottle...

Latest posts

Back