Co2 venting.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
When I first bought all my kit, it was bought on the basis I might not use it again, hence the lack of a few items. One of the items is an air-lock. The guy in the shop (Stockport, Manchester) said to seal the lid & leave a small part of it 'just off the seal'. This I've done on the current brew & it seems fine.

Is it wise to get an air-lock or carry on as I am? I will be brewing again a number of times :lol: , so I want to get things right, but if I can get away withouth an AL then I will. What do you say? :eek: :thumb:

Leave it as it is, I used to have airlocks but now just crack the lids. There is a whole big debate on what to do but the brewerys I have been around have big open vats for fermenting, and it doesn't do them harm!

If you're brewing beer, in a bucket, you don't need an airlock. Lids aren't usually gas-tight.

If you're making wine, it will probably spend the first week or occasionally longer in a lidded bucket before being transferred to demijohns. DJs need airlocks, buckets usually don't.

Latest posts

Back