Coopers Australian Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on dryhopping with this ale, do you think its best to start off with a low amount like yourself until you find your level of hoppiness? :)

Just done this kit with 1 kg brew enhancer plus an added tin of black treacle :D it was lying around so I chucked it in :shock:

OG came out at 1050 which was quite pleasing :thumb:

Plan to do some Chellenger dry hop tea with it as well

I have been experimenting with adding some aroma hops to a Coopers APA and I'm looking for some comment/advice on what I have tried so far.

Brew 1
Kit + 1.5kg LLME + 0.5kg dextrose
Hops - Hallertauer Hersbrucker pellets 33g
Kettle of boiling water used to rinse out cans - 10g boiled for 15mins rest steeped for 30 mins. All added into the fermentation vessel. Made up to 23l OG1052. Pitched supplied yeast.
Just bottled it. FG1015

Brew 2
Kit + 1.5kg LLME + 0.5kg dextrose
Hops - Chinook pellets 40g
Kettle of boiling water used to rinse out cans - 10g boiled for 15mins rest steeped for 30 mins. All added into the fermentation vessel. Made up to 23l OG1052. Pitched supplied yeast.
Currently second week in the FV.

I'm planning on bottling rather than kegging.

Is it worth dry hopping brew 1 or just go with what I have? Are the quantities of hops okay - more/less? I still have time to dry hop if needed. Any pointers welcome.

I have also tried an APA with 1.5kg amber LME, 0.5kg soft dark brown sugar and 250g crystal and 100g roast barley steeped in boiling water for 60mins. Made up to 23l OG1055. Pitched supplied yeast. Deep red colour, good head when poured. FG1014 after priming sugar added

I have one more Coopers APA and the following hops pellets: First Gold, Challenger and Saaz. Any ideas?

I tried this last night. Been in corny 2 weeks. I just used beer enhancer and was pleasantly surprised as tasted good and clear in such a short time

Probably my next brew (either this or a Coopers Real Ale). Planning to use either 1kg of Light DME or perhaps a can of Light LME if I can get to the LHBS beforehand. Hops will be either Cascade or Galaxy.

Has anyone any advice on how to best utilise the hops in respect of this kit? Was thinking a hop tea of up to 50g and then dry hop another (up to) 50g in the final week in the primary.

Did this kit (if it is the international series kit) with 1kg DME and 500g sugar, dry hopped with 24 Cascade. Been bottled a week. Flat as a pancake and incredibly hoppy. Definately needs time for the flavour to mellow slighty.

I've had this one for a while now as I got this as a xmas pressie, so after bottling my punk'ish ipa clone and with a spare couple of hours I put this one over, based on the fruit salad recipe on the coopers site.

Added 200g crystal malt steep for 30 mins, boiled 5 mins then 30g each of amarillo and cascade and let steep for 30 mins. Added 1kg of light dme and 250g of wheat dme. Chucked the kit yeast out and used mangrove jacks m44 west coast.

22l OG 1.048 or there about. Hoping for a session pale ale that can be drunk young. :D

Going to start this on Saturday. after leaving it for a few weeks in the fermentor and then a few more to cold crash I will be filling a few polypins and leaving it to condition ready for use with the beer pumps in the summer!

Finally got this on today. Used 500g of Hopped Light DME, 300g of Dextrose, Safale S-04, made to 20 litres. Boiled 20g of Cascade for 10 mins; 20g of Galaxy for 5 and made a hop tea out of 10g of each also. Going to leave in the FV for about three weeks and will take a view in a fortnight whether to dry hop or not. Judging by the wonderful smell coming off the FV even now, I might not bother! Hit my OG target of 1039 and expecting it to get to about 1011 giving a very sessionable ABV of around 3.7% for those summer days in the garden.

Mine has been in the bottle around a month now. First impressions, not bad at all though I think I should have dry hopped for a bit more hop presence. Cleared well and very sessionable and what I was after, for what was a quick throw it together beer. The money shot….

xhyz.jpg

I'm bottling mine tomorrow, really looking forward to this one. I added a hop tea 3 days ago using cascade and pioneer. It smelt good before, it's smells even better now!

These Coopers kits are really great for adding hops - hop tea and dry hops, to get a practical feel for what works for you. The basic bittering is good (esp the English / UK bitter) allowing for DME and hoppy experiments to produce a well balanced brew at the end. :clap:

These Coopers kits are really great for adding hops - hop tea and dry hops, to get a practical feel for what works for you. The basic bittering is good (esp the English / UK bitter) allowing for DME and hoppy experiments to produce a well balanced brew at the end. :clap:

Agreed,Coopers are great kits to play around with.
I keep returning to the International Draught and the IPA.Both are almost foolproof. :thumb:

I've just bought another one of these in the tesco sale. Shall I brew it straight? No additional hops or anything? Is it nice straight out of the can as it were?

Made two of them so far and both are very nice. Not too bitter but for me it's a good thing. First one was made with BKE2 and the second one with BKE2 +150g of cane sugar (OG1044 ->FG1006) giving about 5.5% abv after priming) The adddition of sugar didn't throw the beer out of balance (no noticeable difference in taste between the two imho) but raised the abv a bit which I like.Will definitely do this again, probably with some aroma hops if I can get some.

I dId this kit Coopers Australian Pale Ale with 1kg of Muntons beer enhancer. Pitched at 21degrees. Taste before pitch was, very very light, almost disappears as soon as you drink it. Sweet at the top but not much follows although if you keep drinking it you get a bitterness. Quite nice taste but not a massive taste sensation at this point. After about 10 days I added around 20g of cascade hop flowers and a little amarillo hop pellets that I had left. Moved to bucket on 18/03/15 and FG was around 1008. Taste at this stage is still light but with a lingering bitterness and floral flavour of the hops. Not a massive amount of depth but certainly the hops are present in the bitterness. I bottled this the next day.

After conditioning in the house for two weeks it has turned out to be a great session beer with the hop additions...like getting a pub pint of American style hoppy beer on draft...a bit too easy to drink as it doesn't have a high level of bitterness but does have all the fruitiness. Necked three whilst sitting in the sun on the decking yesterday in quick succession so definately one for the summer BBQ!

Going to buy another one and this time hop it with Citra to see what that turns out like...I recommend this kit for dry hop experiments so far :thumb:

Started this kit a week ago, using 21l, and 1kg of coopers brew enhancer 2. Og was 1040, now down to 1010, giving 3.8% alcohol so far. Going to dry hop with cascade or sterling on day 10, leave for 4 more days (14 in fv in total) then bottle up with 1 carb drop per 500ml bottle or batch prime with 110g white sugar disolved in 100ml water (then cooled). Has anyone tried dry hopping this with sterling? Does my plan sound sensible? I'm looking at the 2+2+2 method, so 2 weeks in the fv at approx 20-22 degrees, 2 weeks bottled at same temp, then into the shed, so uk temperatures, 5-10 degrees for 2 weeks. Will likely then remain in shed before fridging to consume. Cheers!

I first dry hopped this kit with 37g Cascade and it wasn't enough for me. So the last one I did, I used 50g and even then it was only just enough to give it the boost it needs.
I've not used Sterling. How about a 50%/50% mix of the two hops?
I would also go for 5 - 6 days dry hop rather than 4 days to make sure you have got the most out of the hops.

I've gone with the 30g of cascade to see how it goes. I like a hoppy note, but not too dominant. Another can ready, will attempt to split that brew into 2, one will have sterling, the other unhooped for testing purposes ;). Do you think 1 carb drop for 500 ml is enough?

I love a Cascade and Willamette mixture (those are the hops in St Austell Proper Job) so tried them with this.
- Australian Pale Ale kit made up with Brew Enhancer and 150g of DME I had lying around.
- Brewed short to 18L so OG 1043
- made up with 25g Cascade hop tea (80C for 30mins)
- then dry hopped with 10g Cascade and 10g Willamette

Result - awesome :thumb:

Latest posts

Back