Best Cider Kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I can't stand cider myself, but everytime I have friends round the ladies ask, got any cider! These kits sound dead easy to make, so thought would try a good one :-)

After a quick bit of research it seems a kit is not needed, just some good quality apple juice and cider yeast....

I think we assumed you didn't want to mess about and wanted to make a kit, there are many cider recipes posted on the forum here is one Engineer posted recently -

I have made many different turbo ciders generally playing around to find something i like. My best recipe to date by far is;

1/2 a large bramley apple chopped up
2 litres tesco pressed AJ
2 litres Princes AJ
80g sugar
Tannin - The juice from 2 tea bags in a mug of black tea
Malic Acid - 1 tsp
Pectolase - 1/2 tsp
Youngs wine yeast - 1 tsp
Yeast nutrient - 1 tsp

This was brewed using a 5 litre water bottle as the fermenting vessel.
It comes out at around 6% according to my notes.

I tried some recently that had been primed and bottled for 3 months.
To me and others it was as good as if not better than some commercial brews.

I am about to scale it up to a 25 litre brew this coming week end to have some ready for the summer BBQ's

I think we assumed you didn't want to mess about and wanted to make a kit, there are many cider recipes posted on the forum here is one Engineer posted recently -

With Cider I had no idea what I wanted.......cheers though, this place always helps :)

Hi chippy, digging up an old post here but would you still recommend this recipe? Also can you remind me of the ingredient I should look for in apple juice that makes it a no go? A preserving agent I think it is??!!

Hi chippy, digging up an old post here but would you still recommend this recipe? Also can you remind me of the ingredient I should look for in apple juice that makes it a no go? A preserving agent I think it is??!!
Sodium metabisulfite . if this is in the ingredients it will not ferment out properly or fully.

Any type of preservative should be avoided (sulphites/Sulfates, etc.)
I find that the cheaper apple juice cartons tend to make better cider...

Back