Geordie Bitter - what to do with it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausagefingers

Reaction score
My nephew knows that I brew my own beer so bought me a Geordie bitter kit for Christmas, I've only ever done 2 can kits with hop additions so not really expecting great things from it.
What can I add to it to 'pimp' it up
I was thinking some light spray malt, extra sugar and some Cascade or Columbus hops
Some of my favourite kits are american IPA,APA,Summer Glory and Golden Stag, not expecting it to turn into anything resembling these but will it be drinkable?
Anyone else tinkered with a Geordie kit and got good results?
Cheers

Brilliant kit for the price, make it with Safale S04 yeast and ditch the yeast it comes with or use Windsor ale yeast if you want it a little sweeter and fruity. If I were to make a kit again I'd make this and dry hop with 15 grams of bramling cross for four days prior to bottling.

As it's a kit most people will use water straight from the tap, do not do this. Either boil your water with half a campden tablet or use some bottled spring water.

Kits usually taste vile on account of the chlorophenols created by yeast metabolising chlorine and chloramine in tapwater.These flavours can be hidden in hoppy beers to some extent, but you will notice a plastic taste when you burp.

When making all grain or extract the chlorine is boiled off.Chloramine usually remains, but the campden tablet will take care of that.

Hope this helps.

As it's a kit most people will use water straight from the tap, do not do this. Either boil your water with half a campden tablet or use some bottled spring water.

Kits usually taste vile on account of the chlorophenols created by yeast metabolising chlorine and chloramine in tapwater.These flavours can be hidden in hoppy beers to some extent, but you will notice a plastic taste when you burp.

Maybe if your tap water tastes like something a dog wouldn't drink, all these precautions might be necessary, but my tap water is fine both for drinking and importantly for brewing.
I have not noticed any 'plastic taste' with or without burping, hoppy beer or otherwise, and my beer is certainly not vile. And I tried campden tablets and it made no difference to how my beer turned out so I don't bother any more.
But perhaps my taste buds are shot?

Maybe if your tap water tastes like something a dog wouldn't drink, all these precautions might be necessary, but my tap water is fine both for drinking and importantly for brewing.
I have not noticed any 'plastic taste' with or without burping, hoppy beer or otherwise, and my beer is certainly not vile. And I tried campden tablets and it made no difference to how my beer turned out so I don't bother any more.
But perhaps my taste buds are shot?

As with most things taste related, everyone has a different threshold. Not only that but chlorine & chloramine levels may be lower in your water supply.

It may be that your water has very little chloramine. Chlorine will evaporate from water if you just let it sit out at room temp. So you might be losing some if not all of it by the time the yeast get going in the brew bucket. Chloramine however is less volatile.

I've got quite high levels of chlorine & chloramine and it's easily noticeable in kit beers.

Brilliant kit for the price, make it with Safale S04 yeast and ditch the yeast it comes with or use Windsor ale yeast if you want it a little sweeter and fruity. If I were to make a kit again I'd make this and dry hop with 15 grams of bramling cross for four days prior to bottling.

When making all grain or extract the chlorine is boiled off.Chloramine usually remains, but the campden tablet will take care of that.

Hope this helps.

This is very interesting as it is the most plausible explanation for the Home-Brew Twang I have read in a long time.

My nephew knows that I brew my own beer so bought me a Geordie bitter kit for Christmas, I've only ever done 2 can kits with hop additions so not really expecting great things from it.
What can I add to it to 'pimp' it up
I was thinking some light spray malt, extra sugar and some Cascade or Columbus hops
Some of my favourite kits are american IPA,APA,Summer Glory and Golden Stag, not expecting it to turn into anything resembling these but will it be drinkable?
Anyone else tinkered with a Geordie kit and got good results?
Cheers

Don't knock one can kits there are some good ones at a good price.

They do benefit from pimping up a bit. If you like the American hops, I would suggest you pimp it up with 500g of Spraymalt and 500g of brewing sugar and then dry hop with 50g of Amarillo hops - they will give it an American feel and it keeps the aroma for several months in the bottle. I have had good success with Amarillo.

Righto, been to the LHBS and bought 500g of light spray malt, 100g Chinook hops and a Mangrove Jack M44 West Coast yeast.
Hopefully this will make it more to my taste and fingers crossed I won't die :mrgreen:

Cheers :cheers:

Hope this helps.

What about wilko beer yeast, it's Nottingham something isn't it - would that make for a better yeast then the kits yeast ?

Results are in... it's excellent :thumb:

Very happy with it,smells lovely and a nice golden colour - maybe could do with another week or two but it's going down nicely tonight

What did you do to it in the end? I also have a kit i was given.

Hi Honk,

I binned the yeast and used Mangrove Jack West Coast, mixed the malt with the spray malt then dry hopped with the Chinook pellets for 3 days
Smells very nice, is quite hoppy but it's not very strong - maybe about 4% but I didn't take any readings so can't be sure
My brother in law was round last night and he was impressed which makes a change but he usually drinks crappy lager so what does he know :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back