Der Englander

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
121st brew 7/01/17 4kg of Mari otter, 520g of Munich Malt, 270g crystal malt, 100g Chocolate malt. Hops are EKG For bittering and then 12g each of EKG and Fuggles at 15 and 5, with 25g each of Fuggles and Bramling Cross at flame out. The idea of this beer is that it is mainly an English beer but having had issues with head retention in my previous attempts at British beers. To this end I have added in the Munich Malt hence the name. The chocolate malt has made this darker than I thought it would be. I pitched a Wilko Gervin ale yeast as I understand that this is basically Nottingham so fits with the style. It was supposed to be 4.9% but when I did the final sample I was down to 20L from 27 at start of boil an it was reading 1060. If it got down to 1012 at that stage it would have been 6.3% so I added 3 litres of water so hopefully it will bring it down a bit and it also got me 23L. Colour is deep red/brown. Smell is malty and taste is smooth, sightly malty bitter but very little hop bitterness. I am getting a slightly strange mint flavour, strange but interesting. A feature of Fuggles is suppose to be minty so that makes sense.

The idea of this beer is that it is mainly an English beer but having had issues with head retention in my previous attempts at British beers.
I believe UK Brewers use Torrified Wheat to address this. I know Black Sheep incorporate TW in their grain bill, having been told that on a recent brewery visit.

Sounds nice!

For at least 90% of my brews, "head retention" seems to be a function of how long it has been sitting on the shelf conditioning so "Too soon = Too thin". :thumb:

That too is usually my experience except for the British style beers I have done from greg Huges books, Cornish Tin Miners, Ruby Mild, London Bitter etc. I usually get a fast fizzy head that disappears quickly and a slightly fizzy/flat beer. This times I thought I would add the Munich Malt to see if I could retain a lot of the style but increase the body.

Back