Muntons Home Brew Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andywilde16

Reaction score
I am planning my 2nd Home Brew beer run and I have been looking at either the Muntons Hand-Crafted American Style IPA or the Muntons Courage Directors Bitter.

Has anyone had any experience with these kits and how they turn out?

Thanks in advance

Hi Andy... just started drinking my Directors from the barrel
Tbh its ok.. not to much carbonation in this but its pretty much the same as shop bought bottles/cans.. which are similar.. I will do it again.
The other muntons I've done are the smugglers special ale which is a really good ale..
and the Old conkerwood version that was better as it aged like 2-3 months in the bottle.

Hope this helps.

I haven't tried the Muntons Hand Crafted IPA, but if you like hoppy American style beers, you can't go wrong with the Youngs American range of kits. I have tried the IPA, APA and RIA kits and all are excellent. Everything (including priming sugar) is included in the box and you also get a shedload of hop pellets to dry hop with. You could even keep some of the pellets back to pimp your next cheapo 1 can kit with if you think the beer will be too hoppy for you.

I've not done those, but can also really recommend the Smugglers, and Midas Touch, both really cracking brews. The Youngs American kits mentioned above are also a great (I made the American Amber).

With anything made by Muntons, weight the packet of yeast: they put various sizes in different kits, it should ideally be 11g or more for a 23L brew but some of the kits have a measly 5-7g packet of yeast which just isn't enough for 23L and often results in a stuck brew (you'll see plenty of reports of Woodforde's Wherry sticking at 1020). Just substitute the kit yeast for an 11g packet, Wilko's Gervin or Safale S-04 will do.

Muntons manufacture a whole range of brews with different brand names
http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/other-products/other-branded-homebrew-kits/

Hi Andy,

I did the American style IPA towards the end of last year. It was my first attempt at homebrewing and I found it very fairly easy and good fun to brew. It actually turned out as well as I could have hoped and it was a really nice beer.

The only thing that put me off was that everyone who tried it, including myself, ended up with really bad hangovers the next day, even after a couple of pints.
As I said, being my first brew that may have been something that I did wrong, but I am going to try something different before going back to their kits.

@dan_c
What was the brewing temperature for your AIPA?
If it's too high then you can get unwanted by-products which might be responsible for your hangovers. For normal ales target is usually in the range 18-20*C.
And of course if you brewed with a high ABV this won't help!

@terrym Thanks for the advice. I did brew within the suggested temperatures, however as it was a mid-winter brew done in my garage I did aim for the upper end of the temperature range to ensure it stayed warm enough.
It sounds like that may have been the cause and I will certainly take that advice on board for my next venture. Thanks!

Back