Discountbrew.co.uk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of them. In fact, in all my purchases over the last 12 months (and that's a lot!) I've never even seen that site. Never heard of it mentioned or referred to either. There's a few names that come up time and time again for good service and value for money but that one to me is unheard of.

Also, there's just something about websites that post a picture of an attractive looking female wearing a headset waiting to take your order <sigh>

A quick Google points to some negative feedback over at Jims...

Hmmm...well I'll give it a go and see what happens. If it goes wrong then it's not like I've lost much. I'll report back when I have a result, one way or the other.

Well, given that you're away next week and have an event in 4 weeks, I certainly wouldn't be taking that risk. Especially when you've asked for advice and been tipped off / advised accordingly... still, it's your money/time - good luck :???:

Well, given that you're away next week and have an event in 4 weeks, I certainly wouldn't be taking that risk. Especially when you've asked for advice and been tipped off / advised accordingly... still, it's your money/time - good luck :???:

I wasn't planning on using them for that. I wait until after I'm back. :thumb:

The hops don't look cheap and the Maris Otter is out of stock. What's the attraction?!

Ordered a couple of kits from them a few weeks ago, having been attracted by the prices of those specific kits (they ain't all great prices!). Received the next day with no problem, so I can't fault them. Postage prices need to be considered if comparing with a LHBS but that's no different to any online supplier. Was a little intrigued by the 'don't try to phone us' comment , but had no cause to contact them after placing the order.

Wouldn't hesitate to use them again if they have a good price for what I want.

I am glad it worked out for you, i find this a worry -

Telephone Calls

Our philisophy:

We keep our prices low at discount brew by cutting our overheads to the bone. This means we will respond to emails as fast as possible, but we WILL NOT talk to you on the phone.
Whilst we share the facilities of a couple of other companies we are not the same institutions and they will not talk to you either.

If you need to get in touch email us using [email protected], or use our contacts section to email us.

If your order is short or late use [email protected] quoting your order number (this is essential). This site is for people who know what they want and need a good price. Many thanks for your understanding.​

As a manager for a small online business (Totally unrelated to homebrewing... we sell ducting and ventilation products) I find their attitude pretty surprising based upon the quotation above.

I think what they are probably enthusiasts looking to make a quick bit of money. Selling on the internet small scale is super easy but dealing with complaints, advice, returns etc costs rather than makes money (In the short term) so I guess they are simply trying to attract the sort of customer who knows what they are seeking and only cares abour price.

Just had a quick look - prices for both hops and Maris Otter (25kg) seem extortionate compared to the Worcester Hop Shop that I've been using. Kits looked cheap but I couldn't find postage terms without actually going through the checkout process.

Back