12 500ml Brown Swing-Top Bottles under a tenner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glugaway

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share with you a fairly sweet price for these. The Range are selling a box of 12 for £9.99. They are only available in brown and are the standard 500ml size.

Of course, not as cheap or enjoyable as making your own empties :) but for cap-free bottling, these are hard to beat.

Cheers!

Just thought I'd share with you a fairly sweet price for these. The Range are selling a box of 12 for £9.99. They are only available in brown and are the standard 500ml size.

Of course, not as cheap or enjoyable as making your own empties :) but for cap-free bottling, these are hard to beat.

Cheers!

I second that post. I bought another five dozen of these a couple of weeks back and they were delivered for free to my house. You have to spend more than £50 to get free delivery, so I had to add a £1 packet of steriliser which I did not need, so I could get the free carriage. Total bill was under £51. I have about 90 odd of these now and they seem good sturdy bottles with nice quality flip top closures. Dead easy to seal and unseal and a real bargain price.

Cheers

Me too but I've got about 10 swing tops that I use as well and quite like the loud champagne cork like 'POP!' when you open them

A couple of weeks back (maybe three) I opened one swing top and it went off like a cracker and the whole swing top wire and all bounced off the ceiling. It happened when my over carbonated AG beginner's brew had been bottled about five days and was still at 22C before finishing and cooling down. Gave me a bit of a fright and scared the cat witless. I suppose the C02 hadn't even begun to be absorbed.... That's a guess. I don't know, but none of the others that had finished carbonating and been cooled were like that. They just foamed up like volcanoes and spilled all over the counter. I've let the pressure off on the rest twice more and now they behave better.

You live and learn about carbonation.... Unless you're unlucky and get your head in the way.

A couple of weeks back (maybe three) I opened one swing top and it went off like a cracker and the whole swing top wire and all bounced off the ceiling. It happened when my over carbonated AG beginner's brew had been bottled about five days and was still at 22C before finishing and cooling down. Gave me a bit of a fright and scared the cat witless. I suppose the C02 hadn't even begun to be absorbed.... That's a guess. I don't know, but none of the others that had finished carbonating and been cooled were like that. They just foamed up like volcanoes and spilled all over the counter. I've let the pressure off on the rest twice more and now they behave better.

You live and learn about carbonation.... Unless you're unlucky and get your head in the way.

I don't like my beer particularly highly carbonated. I carbonate everything I make, no matter what style at 5g/L

+1 for enjoying the popping ceremony before each bottle. Feels like a celebration each time
:D

I went to my local Range and managed to bag a box of these (though there was literally just the one in the whole store!)

I used to despise swing tops--no real reason, just an irrational dislike--and now I sort of prefer them. I like to keep the swing tops and give away ones with a crown cap.

Re the 'pop' I always press the flat of my palm against the lid when I do this because I find that the sediment can surge upwards after a particularly jubilant celebration.

Latest posts

Back