Simple racking filter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a quick share for those who might not have come across this simple top tip! I picked this up from Randy Mosher's 'Radical Brewing' Book.

A simple racking filter to stop trub and hops getting through to your bottling bucket. Just slip one of these over the bottom of your racking tube. It fits perfectly over my auto syphon, but I imagine it might need something to hold it on to a thinner cane.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Skylarks-Scrubber-Stainless-Transparent/dp/B01BD7FL3Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1456481682&sr=8-9&keywords=metal+scouring+ball

Last edited by a moderator:
I just pop a hop bag into boiling water for a few minutes, lift it out (going "Ooh, ooh!" 'cos it's hot), fold it to give three or four layers and then wrap it around the bottom of the syphon and hold it in place with a tie-wrap that was sterilised with the syphon itself.

Simples! :thumb:

Just a quick share for those who might not have come across this simple top tip! I picked this up from Randy Mosher's 'Radical Brewing' Book.

A simple racking filter to stop trub and hops getting through to your bottling bucket. Just slip one of these over the bottom of your racking tube. It fits perfectly over my auto syphon, but I imagine it might need something to hold it on to a thinner cane.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BD7FL3Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

We use these as pan scourers, and they are very good at that.
However if you are using them to filter out trub or hop particles they will quickly became full of the stuff you are intending to filter out. That's a good thing. The bad thing is once full of 'crud' you would never really get it out, however hard you tried, and it would be a real source of contamination even though you had boiled it or whatever. So unless you are going to write each one off after use,I would only use these for the intended purpose i.e. pan scouring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of methods, all useful to know. I've used a hop bag without a great deal of success in the past . I've managed to clean out the scouring ball very easily with a flush of water after usage :)

Do you need to stick them through the dishwasher or something first?

I attached it to my auto syphon and dunked it in a pot of star san for 20 mins. Clearly I also used a new one, rather than the one that sits in the sink between washing up sessions :)

Latest posts

Back