Any whisky connoisseurs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had a taste and in thought it was bloody nice. It certainly is very smokey but I actually quite like that. I live about an hour from the Bushmills distillery, I had one of those last night at my dad's and it is definitely a lot smoother than the Talisker but nowhere near as good.
I do enjoy a whisky now and again but it's not something I know a lot about. I like to have a few bottles in the house cos I have a few friends who love it.

Take a look on youtube at some videos of Richard (Mr Nose) Paterson.

In July, I cycled from Inverness to Edinburgh with my brother. We stopped at two distilleries a day. I've long been a whiskey fan and to be honest prefer the peaty west coast stuff. I learned a lot on the Speyside distillery tours though and found a couple of gems (Benromach 10yr is fantastic!). It was actually the tours that prompted me to pick up the beer kit I had lying around and take a stab at brewing.

A lot of the distilleries offer free tours (or very small cost) with tastings afterwards. Well worth it of you are in the area. I'm already planning a west coast cycle tour!

Well I had a taste and in thought it was bloody nice. It certainly is very smokey but I actually quite like that. I live about an hour from the Bushmills distillery, I had one of those last night at my dad's and it is definitely a lot smoother than the Talisker but nowhere near as good.
I do enjoy a whisky now and again but it's not something I know a lot about. I like to have a few bottles in the house cos I have a few friends who love it.

Most people tend to be either a scotch or irish lover. I have a sneaking suspicion that you are the former :grin:

I agree totally with Bushmills. It used to be my absolute favourite 'ordinary' Whiskey with Jamisons coming an extremely close second. However about 15 years or so ago the flavour definitely changed and significantly so! I have two theories on this - either the master blender retired or they were trying to make it much smoother ('new' flavour has much more caramel flavours in it) to separate it more from the taste of Jamisons. Now Jamisons would be my tipple or Coleraine (cheap and closer to the original Bushmills!)

Certainly do love the stuff and Talisker is one of my favs so you've made a good choice.

Not buying it at the moment though as it's a bit easy to get carried away ;) Will get a nice bottle of something for Christmas though and the father-in-law normally treats me to one as a Christmas present.

The only time i drink Whisky -

(I have just donned my flame proof pyjamas) :lol:

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Not tried that particular Talisker, my girlfriend got me a bottle of Talisker 18yr which is fantastic.Slightly peppery, a little salted caramel and a little smoke.If you want to get into whisky then try as many as you can to see what you like.

One of my favourites is Glen Garioch 12yr Single Malt and that's usually £40. Other nice sub £40 drams are Dalwhinnie 15yr and Strathisla 12yr,

I'm big fan of talisker, but Jura origin is my everyday drink.
Dalwhinnie is also fabulous, but it a bit heavy for anything more than a couple!

And date I say it, but for a cheap but very quaffable drop - queen Margot 8 year old whiskey from Lidl is astounding for the price and has won an absolute tonne of awards.

Lidls do a whisky that is rated 88 on the Murray scale. Its ��£13.49 a bottle called Glen Orchy, a fantastic blended whisky.

The average rating for a ��£100 bottle of whiskey on the Murray scale is about 82.

I love it, and not just because its cheap.

Not that long ago (measured in "old people's time"), Glen Orchy was �£9.99 a bottle in the UK ... :doh: :doh: :doh:

... but we bought ours in France where it was cheaper! :doh: :doh: :doh:

Personally, I'm not that keen on a lot of the smoky Island Malts because they taste like TCP to me!

It's a shame, but it has saved me a lot of money over the years! :thumb:

I'm big fan of talisker, but Jura origin is my everyday drink.
Dalwhinnie is also fabulous, but it a bit heavy for anything more than a couple!

And date I say it, but for a cheap but very quaffable drop - queen Margot 8 year old whiskey from Lidl is astounding for the price and has won an absolute tonne of awards.

Mmm, I was given a couple of Jura Origin at a friends house a while back it it was delicious.

Personally, I'm not that keen on a lot of the smoky Island Malts because they taste like TCP to me!

TCP gets its distinctive flavour/aroma from phenols which are also present in scotch due to the peat smoke, which is why there's a similarity. I'm guessing you're not into phenolic beers either like hefe, saison etc?

TCP gets its distinctive flavour/aroma from phenols which are also present in scotch due to the peat smoke, which is why there's a similarity. I'm guessing you're not into phenolic beers either like hefe, saison etc?

Definitely not keen on anything that tastes like TCP. :doh:

TCP (along with Iodine and Salt) was part of my Mum's armoury to treat all ailments and injuries; usually administered with the murmured phrase "This'll sting a bit." she never lied! :whistle:

I still use TCP liquid at home and carry an ancient tube of TCP ointment with me on the pushbike ... :thumb:

... but drink it? No thank-you! :lol: :lol:

Well - I like Jura. Probably my favourite. Don't take much of it these days though. I worry about my liver :doh:

I love a wee dram (I'm Brummie but SWMBO is Scottish). Of the supermarket single malts my favourite is Talisker and at £25 it's a great price. I got mine!!

And the Isle if Skye is a fantastic island to visit if you like walking. And the distillery tour is worth taking in too!!

In our local tesco express I see they have Talisker Skye single malt reduced from £40 down to £25. I don't know the first thing about whisky, is it worth getting at that price?

Talisker Skye is lovely stuff, and at 25 quid it's a steal.

Love tcp

Laphroaig quarter cask

Cheap good cask strength. Finlaggan. Ileach. And from germany classic of islay

Also happy to drink speyside craigealachie (Sp..)

If you like Talisker, and feel like splashing out, try Ardbeg. Woweee, it's f'ing lovely.

Back