Yeast Nutrient

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Bob

Reaction score
I visited my Local Home Brew Shop just after New Year and had a bit of a chat about different yeasts etc. They recommend that I add a Yeast Nutrient to all future brews just to help the yeast get started.

I bought a yeast nutrient which turns out to be for wines, so my question is, is all yeast nutrient the same or does it differ for wines & beers ?

I know the yeast will but not sure about the nutrient.

Many thanks

Bob

Stuck fermentations were something I always got with kits and then since going AG have never even had one get stuck. I think if you use a quality yeast (I use mainly US05) then you don't need to buy extra nutrients.

I use Yeast nutrient, just add a half teaspoon to each 23l brew in the FV. Figure it can't do any harm and helps the yeast off to a good start.

I get mine from Wilkos, think its labelled wine yeast nutrient but read somewhere its fine for ale yeasts also.

If you're brewing ag you shouldn't need it as the yeast gets everything it needs from the wort. If you're brewing from kits/extract then it's a good idea to use some. As spapro said tho, regardless of how you brew, I can't imagine adding it will do any harm.

I always (well, when I remember!) as half a teaspoon to my starters to make sure they have everything it needs.

I picked up a couple of pots from wilko...it says to add a teaspoon PER GALLON..is that just for wine? This would be five teaspoons per 23l....is this too much?

Cheers

Clint

Yeah that's for wine and cider, way too much for beer. I have it for use in yeast starters and I always add a half teaspoon to my brews also, just because I have it. It's not really needed for beer but it won't do any harm.

Sorry for the delay in replying, just got back from a trip away.

Wow Guys, thanks for your replies, really useful info.

Half a teaspoon in the next brew then !!!!

Many Thanks

Bob

Latest posts

Back