Slate/ stone in my grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Started milling today and came across a piece of what looked like slate or stone in my grain

A bit worrying is it not??

Gonna have to go through it very carefully before filling the hopper..

Get-er-brewed it was 9mm long 4mm wide.. obviously it would have been mashed not sure whether it would have had any negative in a beer given its just a tiny peice.

I know I dont brew to get healthy but still

Get-er-brewed it was 9mm long 4mm wide.. obviously it would have been mashed not sure whether it would have had any negative in a beer given its just a tiny peice.

I know I dont brew to get healthy but still

It may be worth mentioning to them just incase it happened when it was bring packed

I'd deffo mention it to them (you might get some freebies :mrgreen:) I dont think it would have ended up in your beer as it would have probably got trapped in amongst the mash but as cheapbrew says, it could have damaged your mill

Stone and slate dont dissolve so wont end up in the beer. Any germs on them should be killed off during the boil, it takes about 30 minutes at 100°C to steralise something. So as long as theres no damage to equipment there's nothing to worry about. I'd still make sure you let them know and tell them you're not happy about it. You might get a freebie as others have said and they can check their stock to make sure there is no more that is contaminated. It might save someone else from having problems.

Back