Cider - simple is as simple does !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just struck me ( not having looked closely at the TCs before ) that there is no definitive base thread 'sticky' outlining the real basic recipe but also with the dos and don'ts and what to add and when and especially detailing the priming stages etc. Would be useful if anybody can be bothered. ;)

Just struck me ( not having looked closely at the TCs before ) that there is no definitive base thread 'sticky' outlining the real basic recipe but also with the dos and don'ts and what to add and when and especially detailing the priming stages etc. Would be useful if anybody can be bothered. ;)

I think Roddy is the resident TC expert !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Roddy is the resident TC expert !

Oops, chippy asked me to do something like this ages ago 😯

I was only holding off cos I only do a 25L version but I suppose one could just scale down as necessary for a DJ version...

A job for me at work tomorrow (after bacon rolls obvs 😁)

PS.... I'm no expert ! P**sartist maybe 😵

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Oops, chippy asked me to do something like this ages ago 😯

I was only holding off cos I only do a 25L version but I suppose one could just scale down as necessary for a DJ version...

A job for me at work tomorrow (after bacon rolls obvs 😁)

PS.... I'm no expert ! P**sartist maybe 😵

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
:whistle:
The bacon is on me. :thumb:

OK - really want a basic recipe with some pointers on stopping priming etc. Will experiment after that

Found the following online . All very simple but then I start reading about sediment in the bottle etc which I don't really want so do we rack then bottle etc etc etc also no mention below of tannin. pectin

1 gallon of cider.
4.5 litres of pure apple juice
1 packet of young’s cider yeast
Sugar and honey (optional)
:If you want to bring the ABV higher to at least 7%, then add 80g of sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons of honey.

Pour 3 litres of the apple juice in to a demi john, sprinkle on the yeast and leave for 15 minutes then stir round, (add sugar *).Fill the airlock with a little water and place the bung and airlock in the demi john, leave to ferment for around 2 days and then add the other 1 ½ litres of apple juice. Leave to ferment
.If making it sparkling Take off a sample and pour in to the trial jar you should have an hydrometer reading of around 1.000, once you have reached this reading you can then syphon off in to clean pressurised bottles, (discard the sediment that is in the bottom of the demi john).These now need to be left to do a secondary fermentation to produce the gas, leave at room temperature for 3 to 4 days and then move them to a cooler place to clear for at least up to 2 weeks. You will get sediment at the bottom of the bottles but if left longer this will harden.

So - in a desire to kick something off on this rainy miserable day I thought I'd do a simple no frills TC.

4l Apple Juice
0.5l of the usual strong tea
1tsp pectolase
1tsp nutrient
1tsp Cider yeast with sweetener

All in the DJ. If tastes good will do a 25l batch for the warm months a coming to sit alongside the carbonating Ginger Beer - surely is must be BBQ weather soon ... [emoji41]

On reflection I think I would rather go with this first time out. Have the necessary but my yeast has no sweetener in it. Want fizzy Magners style rather than still.

Oh my - opened a bottle tonight.
I may be biased but truly scrumptious !!!
25l batch of this going on for sure.
A good chill needed before opening though - this had more gas than her indoors after a Guinness on a Friday night ! [emoji36]

Back