Wilko IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billsbrews

Reaction score
Wilko's new IPA kit (£12) receives mixed reviews and obviously needs pimping. Going to dry hop with pellets of choice (columbus, cascade and amarillo). Wondered if adding a single can golden ale kit would make it too bitter (can't get a simple unhopped malt extract can that easily locally). So I contacted wilko's customer services, who were great and contacted the manufacturer. This is their response:

The IBU measured @1.040 on the IPA is typically 33 – 47 and the Golden Ale 17 – 31.

So I'm going to have a go at a double can batch, knowing the maximum IBUs are only 70-odd. Thought I'd share the info but, if anyone has any advice, it's always gratefully appreciated.

Cheers!

Wilko's new IPA kit (�£12) receives mixed reviews and obviously needs pimping. Going to dry hop with pellets of choice (columbus, cascade and amarillo). Wondered if adding a single can golden ale kit would make it too bitter (can't get a simple unhopped malt extract can that easily locally). So I contacted wilko's customer services, who were great and contacted the manufacturer. This is their response:

The IBU measured @1.040 on the IPA is typically 33 �" 47 and the Golden Ale 17 �" 31.

So I'm going to have a go at a double can batch, knowing the maximum IBUs are only 70-odd. Thought I'd share the info but, if anyone has any advice, it's always gratefully appreciated.

Cheers!

I doubled up Wilko kits a few times - Lager and Stout. Never got one too bitter. 2x£12 plus hops makes a premium kit look attractive, though.

2x��£12 plus hops makes a premium kit look attractive, though.
I completely agree :thumb:
If I was going to spend that sort of money on a kit brew I would just buy a Festival or Youngs American kit and make it up straight out the box. At least you have a good idea of what you are going to end up with.

Yeah, I agree really. I've already got a Young's IPA, a Festival Razorback IPA and a Golden Stag summer ale on the go. Thought I'd give the new Wilko's IPA a go out of curiosity really. Anyone had success with it? What did you add?

Your kit can plus two jars of H&B own brand malt extract (currently on offer). Brew short to 18-19 litres. Dry hop with a minimum of 50g of your hops based to give it a good lift. I recommend chucking the hops in and when you siphon out put a small nylon sock over the end of the siphon (see picture), very effective and better than a bag imo.
s-l1600.jpg

Or make up a hop tea with 500ml of water at 80*C water and chuck that in after it has cooled but allow for the 500ml in your volume calcs.

I have done a few of these ipa kit the last two I made I dry hop 60g of challenger hops for the last three days in the fv
came out great

Thanks, Terrym and MickDundee, just got almost 3kg of malt extract for £12 from Holland and Barrett. Will try the IPA kit with some of that extract. Thanks for the great tips.

Thanks, Terrym and MickDundee, just got almost 3kg of malt extract for �£12 from Holland and Barrett. Will try the IPA kit with some of that extract. Thanks for the great tips.
Trust you have a loyalty card with them?.I don't normally bother with the things, but you collect points and get vouchers sent online and they can be used during the sales as well:thumb:

I boiled 1.5kg DME with 30g cascade for 30 mins in 5litres, dropped it into the FV with the kit and 500g white sugar, diluted to 23l and dry hopped with another 50g cascade after a week. It was a good tasty brew just finished last weekend actually.

Wilko's new IPA kit (��£12) receives mixed reviews and obviously needs pimping. Going to dry hop with pellets of choice (columbus, cascade and amarillo). Wondered if adding a single can golden ale kit would make it too bitter (can't get a simple unhopped malt extract can that easily locally). So I contacted wilko's customer services, who were great and contacted the manufacturer. This is their response:

The IBU measured @1.040 on the IPA is typically 33 ��" 47 and the Golden Ale 17 ��" 31.

Cheers!
best of luck with that as it doesn't lend well to pimping,tried it with limited sucsess, but doubling up a wilko one can kit would I suspect give a far better beer as it stands

best of luck with that as it doesn't lend well to pimping,tried it with limited sucsess, but doubling up a wilko one can kit would I suspect give a far better beer as it stands

Pimp it similar to my suggestion using your choice of hop and you'll have a perfectly quaffable brew. Very plain unmodified though, by all accounts.

Had one of these kits given to me for Xmas, not a fan but have shorted to 20L, added Muntons Light Spray Malt & Geordie beer kit enhancer and used Wyeast 1056, dry hopped 3 days into primary with 12.5g citra, will add a further 12.5g citra and 25g Amarillo on day 7. Fermentation at 19'c.

Back