Help! Mash too hot, have I ruined it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just going by what people on here said. AS I said it was my first AG so Im no expert. There are of course all sorts of reasons it could have got stuck.

This bloke reckons that there's zero discernable difference in the final product when changing between 64C and 72C mashes

but I'm still not convinced that 70C would [on its own] cause 1020 FG.

Like "this bloke" my taste-buds can see zero discernible difference between all kinds of changes to my brews. :doh: :doh:

I blame my age, a lifetime spent eating hot curries, a love of chilli peppers, smoking, drinking copious amounts of alcoholic beverages and the sheer inertia to work out what is and isn't different about a brew.

In other words, if I don't spit it out after the first mouthful I will probably drink it before the end of the month! :lol: :lol:

As I regularly mash at the 68 to 72 degree level (I like sweet beers) and have only ever had one "stuck" brew (it was a gluten free brew done for a mate), I also don't reckon that it is the reason for a "stuck" brew. :thumb:

Like "this bloke" my taste-buds can see zero discernible difference between all kinds of changes to my brews. :doh: :doh:

Yebbut that bloke's claiming credibility, according to the article he got about 20 of his beerjudge mates round and none of them could tell any difference.

I'm with you though, if you chill them to the same point I can barely distinguish between beer styles let alone micro changes in the brewing process.

Apparently if you chill lemonade and coke both to low fridge temperature then they taste exactly the same. Ditto strawberries and those furry green things.

This bloke reckons that there's zero discernable difference in the final product when changing between 64C and 72C mashes

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/12/the-mash-high-vs-low-temperature-exbeeriment-results/

Ok there's a gazillion variables that will affect it and you could probably choose the right ingredients, water quality, and yeast strain and show the opposite to be true, but I'm still not convinced that 70C would [on its own] cause 1020 FG.

Brulosoply do a hell of a lot of good exbeeriments. I have read through quite a lot of them over time for issues I was confused about.

Yes, in that particular beer he brewed, there was no discernible taste or mouth feel difference. There was, however, a pretty big difference in final gravity. 1.005 on the low mash temp beer, 1.014 on the high mash temp beer. Both beers started at the same gravity (or close enough - 1.039 and 1.040). So, a higher mash temperature does appear to result in higher levels of unfermentable sugars.

Whether that is discernible in the beer is debatable. It would be interesting to see this repeated with different beer styles, particularly a darker, more full-bodied ale where you would want a higher final gravity.

:cheers:

I've only done one AG so far, a pale ale from the have a go at AG "how to" on here. I didnt know a high mash temp caused unfermentable sugars and mashed at 70°. I fermented it and it wouldnt go below a FG of 1020 so I chucked it. I would recommend you decide whether to keep it at the end of fermenting depending on your FG.

You are a stronger man than me then.

If I have gone through the effort of making the beer, then by hell I will drink it! I have had a couple of borderline batches, but let them age and they improved...

Latest posts

Back