Simple Ale for 1st timer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek333

Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Derek and I'm a new member here. After sampling some home brews of a friend's, I've got the itch to try it myself. I'm also hoping to grow my own ingredients in my garden. I don't want to try growing a dozen different varieties of hops and barley right out of the gate, so I'm hoping for a simple but tasty ale recipe that I can try this year. If all goes well I'll try and grow more varieties in the future. I'm hoping for an amber or English ale. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Derek H

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hello all! My name is Derek and I'm a new member here. After sampling some home brews of a friend's, I've got the itch to try it myself. I'm also hoping to grow my own ingredients in my garden. I don't want to try growing a dozen different varieties of hops and barley right out of the gate, so I'm hoping for a simple but tasty ale recipe that I can try this year. If all goes well I'll try and grow more varieties in the future. I'm hoping for an amber or English ale. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Derek H

Welcome to the forum :)

What type of soil do you have / are you a Gardner already ? I'm not really but I would also love to grow hops so keep me posted :)

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

For anyone new to brewing and looking for a tasty way to start I recommend ANY of the Woodfordes extract kits; in particular either the Wherry (if you like a bitter ale) or the Sundew if you like a lighter ale.

http://www.wilko.com/search?q=woodfordes

After brewing one or the other of those (following the instructions TO THE LETTER) I'm pretty sure that you will start looking further into Home Brew as a way of life. :thumb:

(Some idiots think it's a hobby; it isn't! :lol: :lol:)

hi and welcome to the forum, I to am fairly new to this forum but there is plenty of good advice on here, the first ag I did was clibits cracking easy first time brew(http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=474578&postcount=1rew ) in fact I have brewed it again today it is that good, trebleing the ingredients to make 15 ltrs so a nice easy way to start so good luck and don't be afraid to ask..

Welcome to the forum! I went to a homebrew club meeting on Saturday and there was a chap there who had brewed with his homegrown hops. The beers were excellent, including one where he used the hops fresh off the plant (green) rather than drying!

Get stuck in and keep us posted. I second the Have a Go at Simple AG thread linked above. It's what got me going.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Cheers! 🍻

Welcome to the forum :)

What type of soil do you have / are you a Gardner already ? I'm not really but I would also love to grow hops so keep me posted :)
I'm a new gardener. I've always rented a small house but just purchased 8 acres and am aiming at a more self sustained form of living. I'm going to get a soil sample and take it to the farmer's co-op. They'll tell me how to manage the pH etc. I may have to make a thread once I get going...

Latest posts

Back