Whiffing your bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexBanner

Reaction score
Eyup all,

Here's a question for you all, how often do you crack open your FV and have a whiff? Go on be honest.
Also have any of you ruined a brew doing so?

I only ask as ive just had a whiff of my ginger beer (yes yes not technicaly a beer) and it smells faboulous!

its a delicious experience with most brews, and as long as your cracking the lid and sneaking a whiff from the side, and not pulling the lid standing over the beer scratching your bonce, its no foul no harm ;)

I find that since I built my brew fridge, the only snifter I get now is when I keg.

Too much hassle taking out of fridge, cracking lid, sniffing, putting lid on, putting back in fridge etc.

My fermenters are in an old wardrobe. When I open the door, I'm usually greeted by a lovely smell during the early vigorous stage of fermentation.

I never crack the lid off until it's time to empty the beer out, or to chuck some dry hops in.

I take gravity samples from the FV tap. These get drunk once measured.

Once I'm sure fermentation has started I wouldn't touch the FV with a bargepole. 'Course, it's those checks before it's started that are risky but I'll only take a look after 24hrs, by then things are 99 times out of a 100 starting to happen.

Back